Toastmaster Tradesman - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Thelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Frank
Posts: 58
 
Default Toastmaster Tradesman

Anybody ever see one of these? Found it in a junk sale, cost me $1.00. I bought it just for the novelty. It does run. I haven't tried to turn anything on it, yet. Maybe someday soon.







When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."
Thelt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered User
 
dutchman 46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Howard
Posts: 2,825
 
Default

Well, That is the first time i seen one of those, Frank. Is that the same Co. that made small toaster ovens and smaller appliances? It just be the thing to turn some of the smaller spindles and the like. Good buy, My dollar just doesn't go that far.

John 3:16

Please fill out your profile, It helps us to know you better

Last edited by dutchman 46; 02-14-2009 at 04:40 PM.
dutchman 46 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Thelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Frank
Posts: 58
 
Default

I have since learned, from another forum, there are parts missing. For instance, on the motor end there is a small metal table that fits over the top and the small button you see on the top is where a jigsaw blade goes. I don't know who the manufacturer is, still researching.


When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."
Thelt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman 46 View Post
Well, That is the first time i seen one of those, Frank. Is that the same Co. that made small toaster ovens and smaller appliances? It just be the thing to turn some of the smaller spindles and the like. Good buy, My dollar just doesn't go that far.
I would assume so, considering trademarks and such. Perhaps it dates to that period when many companies were "diversifying". You've probably seen the cartoons of military tank manufacturers also making baby buggies.

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Thelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Frank
Posts: 58
 
Default

Here is the same model Toastmaster with the jigsaw table attached and the turning plate removed. I'm thinking of making a table out of wood that would be attached. What do you guys think. Probably just a waste of time, but I think it is a novelty.



When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."
Thelt is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
 
Default

Hi Frank,

I just acquired one of these and it seems to have most of the attachments but missing the manual. Mine runs pretty noisy but seems to perform the functions OK. After I made the repair of the speed control dial, which was broken off, I found that the speed control doesn't change the speed all that much. Just wondering how yours works.

--Rich
Rich Bridygham is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Thelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Frank
Posts: 58
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Bridygham View Post
Hi Frank,

I just acquired one of these and it seems to have most of the attachments but missing the manual. Mine runs pretty noisy but seems to perform the functions OK. After I made the repair of the speed control dial, which was broken off, I found that the speed control doesn't change the speed all that much. Just wondering how yours works.

--Rich
Yes it is quite noisy, and, the speed dial shows three speeds, (fast, medium & slow). Audibly I can hear two speed changes (don't seem to be a big difference). Still trying to figure out what all I'm missing beside the jig-saw table.

Frank


When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."
Thelt is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:13 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 87
 
Default

I would think that with a bit of modification it could become a decent dedicated pen turning lathe. One thing is for sure Frank, you can't lose money on it.


Harry
Electron is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
First Name: jacob
Posts: 1
 
Default noisy lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
Yes it is quite noisy, and, the speed dial shows three speeds, (fast, medium & slow). Audibly I can hear two speed changes (don't seem to be a big difference). Still trying to figure out what all I'm missing beside the jig-saw table.

Frank
I realize this is an old thread, however i had this neat little lathe when i was but a youngling. inside the motor housing is a shaft and pin for the jigsaw to move up and down. this area is very likely in need of greese. if your getting alot of rattle or noise. you may also be missing a blade from the cooling fan on the motor itself. the spindle shaft is one solid piece. the motor windings sit inside several brass bushings. as far as the spped control, it's likely that if you only have two speeds one of the contacts are oxidized, a good contact cleaner (spray) will help. in the photo above there are several things i noticed missing one is the tool rest for the lathe chisel also i had a chuck for using drills which threaded onto the tail stock. it was nice to see they still exsist thanks for the post.
oldymoldy65 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,468
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldymoldy65 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, however i had this neat little lathe when i was but a youngling. inside the motor housing is a shaft and pin for the jigsaw to move up and down. this area is very likely in need of greese. if your getting alot of rattle or noise. you may also be missing a blade from the cooling fan on the motor itself. the spindle shaft is one solid piece. the motor windings sit inside several brass bushings. as far as the spped control, it's likely that if you only have two speeds one of the contacts are oxidized, a good contact cleaner (spray) will help. in the photo above there are several things i noticed missing one is the tool rest for the lathe chisel also i had a chuck for using drills which threaded onto the tail stock. it was nice to see they still exsist thanks for the post.
Hi Jacob. Welcome to the forum.

James
Sydney, Australia
.

I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments.
I don't profess to know everything, and I may learn something new.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."




jw2170 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome