Drilling deep holes - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Dan
Posts: 63
 
Default Drilling deep holes

In an effort to hide the connection, I thought it be cool (first mistake, being cheeky) to drill from the bottom of a 4 inch thick stock. I used a 12 inch 3/16th bit with a power drill and an adjustable drilling jig. (my drill press doenst have the "reach")the bit came out of the top about an 1/8 off the mark on one hole and about 1/16 for the other.

Can think of a couple of reasons it did this. First, the bit being that long and that thin flexed under pressure and "walked" as it cut thru. Then the drilling guide may not have been dirlectly over the hole, and the above mentioned off target hole may have simply spotted wrong from the get go.

I did start a deep pilot hole with a jig then switched to the long bit.

Is there a better, easier way to drill holes with out a drill press thru thick stock and have it come out where you want it too?

TIA
dan

Last edited by dan_house; 02-24-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: syntax
dan_house is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Dan,

If you came out that close over the course of 12", I really don't think you can ask for much more under the circumstances. Even a drill press would not have gotten you any closer. Just too many factors involved to do any better. About the only thing you could have done different would have been to drill from the top down and let the varance be hidden down below. I think you did pretty darn good myself.
Bob N is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered User
 
Ghidrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ronald
Posts: 1,466
 
Default

I have a bunch of what I call drill blocks, I keep a set in the trailer and one in the shop. I use 3/4" plywood and set each bit in the drill press and make one plunge into the block starting at the outside of the block and work my way around the perimeter eventually ending in the center where the largest bit hole is. The 2nd block, gluing 2 blocks together, as the bit diameter grows so does the length of the bit the highest block is 3 lams at 2 1/4". I have blocks covering from 1/16" to a 1/2" in 32nd and 64th increments.

Quite often when perfect 90 holes are required in material too large for the press I use the blocks. Make the block long enough to clamp when necessary.

Never bite the hand that looks dirty!
The more you know the more you're worth
Ghidrah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

Other factors that might come into play are the speed of the drill (rotation speed), the speed of the feed, and the type of bit being used. Slower speeds would likely result in less wander, allowing the bit to cut better, and a brad-point style bit might track more accurately.

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Dan
Posts: 63
 
Default

Bob, the piece was only 4 inches deep/thick..... For me that was really good, but not good enough for the project.

thinking maybe to plug the the last inch of the hole (can hide the mend...), redrill down to the almost to the plug with a bigger bit, and redril the last inch with the smaller bit. Taht doesnt work, I'll plug the whole thing and redrill from the top..... not as elegant....but thats what prototypes are for, right?

Ralph, since I was drilling with my powerdrill, and hand feeding thru the jig, I bet your right about feed rates. I had to put s afiar amount of pressure to get it to drill,,,,,,

Ghidrah.. thats brilliant! I can see many applications for those.....

thanx guys
dan_house is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Dan

It may be time to tune up your drill press

Put a square on the table top, and hold it to the side of the chuck it should be dead on, if not look under the top for a bolt/nut adjust the table so it's dead on with the chuck now move the square 90 deg. and do the same thing, if it's true your done it not find a business card and use it for a shim,you will need move the bolt or nut to get it in behind the mount, put one in, then check it one more time,if you are dead on move the top so it's square on the other side of the chuck.. it takes a bit of time to get it done but it's worth it in the long run..


======

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_house View Post
In an effort to hide the connection, I thought it be cool (first mistake, being cheeky) to drill from the bottom of a 4 inch thick stock. I used a 12 inch 3/16th bit with a power drill and an adjustable drilling jig. (my drill press doenst have the "reach")the bit came out of the top about an 1/8 off the mark on one hole and about 1/16 for the other.

Can think of a couple of reasons it did this. First, the bit being that long and that thin flexed under pressure and "walked" as it cut thru. Then the drilling guide may not have been dirlectly over the hole, and the above mentioned off target hole may have simply spotted wrong from the get go.

I did start a deep pilot hole with a jig then switched to the long bit.

Is there a better, easier way to drill holes with out a drill press thru thick stock and have it come out where you want it too?

TIA
dan



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_house View Post
Bob, the piece was only 4 inches deep/thick..... For me that was really good, but not good enough for the project.

thinking maybe to plug the the last inch of the hole (can hide the mend...), redrill down to the almost to the plug with a bigger bit, and redril the last inch with the smaller bit. Taht doesnt work, I'll plug the whole thing and redrill from the top..... not as elegant....but thats what prototypes are for, right?

Ralph, since I was drilling with my powerdrill, and hand feeding thru the jig, I bet your right about feed rates. I had to put s afiar amount of pressure to get it to drill,,,,,,

Ghidrah.. thats brilliant! I can see many applications for those.....

thanx guys
Sorry about that! I mis-read and was thinking 12" deep
Bob N is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM
RouterForums.com User
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,812
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

I'm not sure what I'm missing here but what's wrong with drilling from both ends.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Harry

I think that's something like burning the candle from both ends

It takes the fun out of it...


=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
I'm not sure what I'm missing here but what's wrong with drilling from both ends.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Dan
Posts: 63
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
I'm not sure what I'm missing here but what's wrong with drilling from both ends.
Me? I'd never get them to line up...... so its all in one shot for me.

Maybe after another decade or two of experience.....
dan_house is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shelf pin hole jig - reviews and router solution Greg_R Jigs and Fixtures 17 04-24-2014 08:02 PM
PVC Pipe Holes morbious Tools and Woodworking 3 02-15-2008 04:50 PM
Boring 5mm Holes for Shelf Pins garycurtis Router Bits - Types and Usage 4 12-20-2007 05:38 PM
Misaligned holes in phenolic plate jrs4464 New Member Introductions 1 08-08-2006 07:18 PM
Bench dog holes Bob N Tools and Woodworking 10 02-18-2005 11:23 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome