Shop made dust collection? - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
glintusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Dave
Posts: 1
 
Send a message via AIM to glintusa
Default Shop made dust collection?

Hi,

I'm new here and i'm looking for some ideas on dust collection and control for my shop. I have a Delta dust collection unit for my Jet table saw and I basically move my Shop Vac between all my other tools. I have a planer, 2 chop saws, a bandsaw and a router table with 2 routers installed. I get this powdery layer of dust all over and I want to control it.
glintusa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered User
 
dutchman 46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Howard
Posts: 2,825
 
Default

Hello Glint, USA ?WoodCentral's BP Archives: Felder AF-22 Here is just one place to look, and if you search here, You may find others. Try Oak Park, and all the other machine manufactures, and even search for one to build yourself. Glad that you found us, and welcome

John 3:16

Please fill out your profile, It helps us to know you better
dutchman 46 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

I don't have the Delta DC unit, but otherwise our DC systems are about the same. Dust collects on whatever surface to which gravity takes it.

You may want to consider adding a pipe/hose network to your existing Delta unit to reach the other machines in your shop.

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi glintusa

It's sound like you have the dust/chips pickup covered ,,but you may want to add a Fox filter system hanging from the rafters, it will suck up the fine dust that floats around all the time when the tools are running..

The filter systems come in many sizes and not only from Jet/ShopFox..


Jet AFS-400 Benchtop Air Filtration System - Rockler Woodworking Tools
Rockler - Search Results for 'air filter'
========


Quote:
Originally Posted by glintusa View Post
Hi,

I'm new here and i'm looking for some ideas on dust collection and control for my shop. I have a Delta dust collection unit for my Jet table saw and I basically move my Shop Vac between all my other tools. I have a planer, 2 chop saws, a bandsaw and a router table with 2 routers installed. I get this powdery layer of dust all over and I want to control it.


Attached Images
 

"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 04-07-2009 at 10:18 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered User
 
kartracer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Eric
Posts: 214
 
Default

GlintUSA,

I recently purchased the JET-AFS1000 Air Filtration System. It hasn't completely eliminated the settling dust, but it has reduced it by about 75%. I'm not sure if I have the ideal conditions for the filter to work at maximum performance though. It's designed to hang from the ceiling and I only have 7'4" of ceiling heighth. I've also got a suspended ceiling which wouldn't support the weight of the unit. So... I've got it sitting on a cart about 3' off the ground that I wheel around the room.
I'm also using just a shop-vac at the saws and such until I get a dust collector. I think that the dust collector will do a much better job in reducing the "settling dust" than the shop-vac will.
Don't get your expectations too high with dust control. You're never going to completely eliminate it.
Good luck,

Eric

Last edited by kartracer63; 04-07-2009 at 11:29 AM.
kartracer63 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

Greetings (your name here) and welcome to the forum. What dust (cough, cough), I don't have a dust problem!! I have on shop vac and it is hardly adequate for what I do. Need to get dust out of my shop and out of my life. I will soon be, am, looking for dust reduction.

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.
xplorx4 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Eric

Just asking , why not hang it up,,,they do work very well if they are up, just pickup some hole angle steel the same stuff they hang door openers from, with 10ft. or so and a plumb bob and a sharp razor blade knife to cut some slits in the ceiling tiles and then hang it off the angle iron..

Then I almost sure it will work well for you


=====




Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer63 View Post
GlintUSA,

I recently purchased the JET-AFS1000 Air Filtration System. It hasn't completely eliminated the settling dust, but it has reduced it by about 75%. I'm not sure if I have the ideal conditions for the filter to work at maximum performance though. It's designed to hang from the ceiling and I only have 7'4" of ceiling heighth. I've also got a suspended ceiling which wouldn't support the weight of the unit. So... I've got it sitting on a cart about 3' off the ground that I wheel around the room.
I'm also using just a shop-vac at the saws and such until I get a dust collector. I think that the dust collector will do a much better job in reducing the "settling dust" than the shop-vac will.
Don't get your expectations too high with dust control. You're never going to completely eliminate it.
Good luck,

Eric



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 258
 
Default

Hi no name, and man w/o a country. It would be easier to help you, if we new where you are, and who you are. That said, it would also be helpful to know what model dust collector you have.

I'm sure with info, there will be help forthcoming.

How big (cubic feet) is your shop. Can you put the DC outside and run the ductwork thru the wall somehow? That helped me tremendously!

Can you duct to all, or most of your machines?
a1tomo is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Registered User
 
kartracer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Eric
Posts: 214
 
Default

Bob,

I only have 7'4" of ceiling heighth. I suppose I could mount it in one of the corners where nobody would run the risk of banging their head. Otherwise it would really hang down too low. Another problem is that above the suspended ceiling grid work is all concrete. I have another garage above my shop that has a spancrete floor. I know that the spancrete is very thick and obviously supports a lot of weight, but I hate to keep drilling more holes into it without consulting an expert to see how much it would effect the strength of the spancrete over time. Maybe somebody here would have an answer.

Eric
kartracer63 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Eric

I have not use the rods and the 6" glue pads that they use to hang a heaters in shops, they have a precast ceiling and they can't drill into it..or say they should not...I 'm not sure what type of glue pad it is but it will support 100 lbs. per. rod a guy told me..,he peel the paper off the pad and stuck it in place and he said it takes about 30 mins. to setup..they also hung pipe from the same type of rods...



==========


Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer63 View Post
Bob,

I only have 7'4" of ceiling heighth. I suppose I could mount it in one of the corners where nobody would run the risk of banging their head. Otherwise it would really hang down too low. Another problem is that above the suspended ceiling grid work is all concrete. I have another garage above my shop that has a spancrete floor. I know that the spancrete is very thick and obviously supports a lot of weight, but I hate to keep drilling more holes into it without consulting an expert to see how much it would effect the strength of the spancrete over time. Maybe somebody here would have an answer.

Eric



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dust collection base for pc 690 series routers rstermer Portable Routing 6 06-12-2008 08:42 AM
How to add dust collection to my router table? Nickbee Table-mounted Routing 11 02-11-2008 06:56 AM
Shop Vac dust system kheppner Tools and Woodworking 2 09-14-2006 03:31 PM
Dust collection saltysteele Tools and Woodworking 1 04-25-2005 08:15 PM
Dust collection system for Router Table yhadar Lobby 2 12-31-2004 01:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome