For years I had season tickets to the Nascar race at Bristol. Any seat was a good seat.
Then, beginning about 1996, they added about 25000 seats. A few years later they added more.
The intimacy was lost. No longer were all the seats good. Longer times to get in and hours to leave the parking area. Concessions went out the roof on price.
In 1999, I sold my season ticket position for a tidy sum. Now I can watch the race on a 53" television with surround sound, eat my own food, avoid the drunks, use my own bathroom, and have no traffic or travel except walking my dogs in my quiet neighborhood cul-de-sac.
Nearly 98% of my business is done online with video calls, the other 2% is meeting with local clients to eat lunch and have some laughs.
I do not miss Bristol or the long travel and the expenses of meeting with clients.
Same with trade shows. I can do everything but touch the merchandise, and with the generous return policies of online vendors, I can order, touch it, and decide whether or not to keep it.
Like button hooks and buggy whips, trade shows for most people are in the past.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." Christopher Hitchens