Restoration project (Craftsman 113.241680) - Page 2 - Router Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Dennis
Posts: 109
 
Default

Finally, itís finished (thanks to the self isolation):



What did I end up doing:

-Replaced the arbor assy (the old one had stripped threads and was impossible to redye)
-Cleaned the motor
-Removed the original casters since they werenít really spinning anymore lol
-Replaced and relubricated the shaft (yes, I actually found one that fits !)
-Installed a new Shop Fox fence

Thereís a huge difference between what I had before, and this one. For one, even though itís a flex drive, so far it doesnít bog down on anything Iíve thrown at it. Not a high end tool, but it cuts true and straight, and thatís exactly what I need for now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DesertRatTom likes this.
qulevrius is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 8,011
 
Default

Good job on the restoration, it looks great.
What is a flex drive ,I have never heard of that? It looks like a belt drive to me.
Herb
Herb Stoops is online now  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 01:53 PM
Registered User
 
PhilBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Country: United States
First Name: phil
Posts: 1,533
 
Default

Nice job. I had that exact TS including the stamped wings and weird castors. Even the swirls in the cast iron looked like mine. Faced with the same question, I opted to sell it for $75. It looked so close to mine, I checked to see if you lived near me and were the buyer...

The one thing I miss is the little exact-i-cut plastic thingee. Made some cuts pretty easy.

Measure twice, cut once and CROSS OUT THE WRONG MARKS.

Visit my shop website.
PhilBa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Dennis
Posts: 109
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
Good job on the restoration, it looks great.
What is a flex drive ,I have never heard of that? It looks like a belt drive to me.
Herb

Itís a variation of a direct drive, where the motor is connected to the arbor via a flexible shaft. The original idea was sound, but the way it was made was not. There is a big jolt when the saw powers up, but the heavy table dampens the vibration and the encased shaft doesnít have too much lateral movement to induce more vibration.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
qulevrius is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 8,011
 
Default

@qulevrius Duh, Now that I look at the pictures again, I see the flex drive. I have never seen one before. I thought it was a belt drive and that the belt loose ,off the pulley. I wonder who thought up that kind of set up after all the years of tried and true belt drive. I have a direct drive 12" Craftsman and love it. I use it mostly with 10" blades, and the power is unstoppable,on 220v.
@PhilBa a piece of white tape works too. for the exact-ti-cut

Herb
Herb Stoops is online now  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Dennis
Posts: 109
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
@qulevrius Duh, Now that I look at the pictures again, I see the flex drive. I have never seen one before. I thought it was a belt drive and that the belt loose ,off the pulley. I wonder who thought up that kind of set up after all the years of tried and true belt drive. I have a direct drive 12" Craftsman and love it. I use it mostly with 10" blades, and the power is unstoppable,on 220v.
@PhilBa a piece of white tape works too. for the exact-ti-cut

Herb

I do use a 7-1/4Ē blade for precision cuts on plywood. Works wonders, because of the kerf and the teeth. With that being said, I didnít know Craftsman made 12Ē direct drive saws, thatís half way to an industrial grade machine and seems weird to not have it with induction.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
qulevrius is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 8,011
 
Default

@qulevrius I did a search on that saw, and it seems the weak link is the flex drive. They do not seem to be available for replacement. Some guys have changed them over to belt drive, but they say that it is a PITA.
It will probably serve you well if you baby it along and don't put too much money into it, save that for a future saw.
You could probably use an 8" blade too. You have to remember that the smaller blades have slower rim speeds ,so you have to adjust your feed rate down some, but you probably do that automatically by the feel of the saw. I know I do.
Herb

My 12" TS is an induction motor, looks like the 12" Radial Arm Saw Motor.

Last edited by Herb Stoops; 04-09-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Herb Stoops is online now  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Dennis
Posts: 109
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
@qulevrius I did a search on that saw, and it seems the weak link is the flex drive. They do not seem to be available for replacement. Some guys have changed them over to belt drive, but they say that it is a PITA.
It will probably serve you well if you baby it along and don't put too much money into it, save that for a future saw.
You could probably use an 8" blade too. You have to remember that the smaller blades have slower rim speeds ,so you have to adjust your feed rate down some, but you probably do that automatically by the feel of the saw. I know I do.
Herb

My 12" TS is an induction motor, looks like the 12" Radial Arm Saw Motor.

Iím using a 7-1/4Ē because I already have a few for the skilsaw, and because they cost twice as cheap as the 10Ē. I hear you on the feed rate and as you mentioned, itís a feel thing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
qulevrius is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome