That was the way I did it. I think the lap helps in putting it together. I hand planed the the outside overhang and then sanded a bit. My daughter took some decent pictures for me. The tree is an artificial one of the little woman's. It was in a thin plastic pot that was filled with a pour in foam. It's so top heavy that even a slight breeze would knock it over and the plastic pot is in pieces but still held together with the foam. So my project was just something to stick it in where we could weight it down and keep it upright. This was a quick effort. Definitely not fine woodworking.
Thanks Bob and Steve for those videos. I may have to try some more of them. This one was kind of fun to do. And Mark I did use some of that tape from Lee Valley to glue the singles into pairs.
Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.