Skiis for planing wide surfaces - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator
 
BigJimAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 3,503
     
Default Skiis for planing wide surfaces

I've been planning on building some router skiis for some time. This weekend I've been working on a prototype for a cherry bench with tapers (picture 2 from October 2009 FWW), M+T's, 1-3/4" finished thicknesses, etc. so I'm making the prototype out of 2x10's. I'd run some 2x10's through my planer and table saw to get them flat and square but when I glued four of them together (2 thick x 2 wide) there was a little bit of warping (no surprise, since it was construction-grade (wet) lumber. Lacking a jointer plane or a 20" power planer, I started out flattening them with my belt sander, with mixed results. Then I built a set of skiis for my 3hp plunge router, installed a 1" bit and used it to flatten the slabs. It worked great! Now the sanding will be needed just to remove roughness.

I've attached some pictures.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	28650  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	28651  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	28652  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	28653  


Check out that new high-tech cordless router.. wireless and no recharging required!!
BigJimAK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

Jim does the router have any sage in the center? What size rod did you use? I like you TS, how about a photo tour of your shop some time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimAK View Post
I've been planning on building some router skiis for some time. This weekend I've been working on a prototype for a cherry bench with tapers (picture 2 from October 2009 FWW), M+T's, 1-3/4" finished thicknesses, etc. so I'm making the prototype out of 2x10's. I'd run some 2x10's through my planer and table saw to get them flat and square but when I glued four of them together (2 thick x 2 wide) there was a little bit of warping (no surprise, since it was construction-grade (wet) lumber. Lacking a jointer plane or a 20" power planer, I started out flattening them with my belt sander, with mixed results. Then I built a set of skiis for my 3hp plunge router, installed a 1" bit and used it to flatten the slabs. It worked great! Now the sanding will be needed just to remove roughness.

I've attached some pictures.

Jim

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.
xplorx4 is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Nice job Jim. The skis are an excellent accessory to the router in so many ways.
Bob N is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice job Jim. The skis are an excellent accessory to the router in so many ways.
What will I need to purchace to build a set??

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.
xplorx4 is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Bob N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 5,688
     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorx4 View Post
What will I need to purchace to build a set??
Some threaded rod, washers, wing nuts and 2 small pieces of 3/4" MDF is all. Maybe around $6 or so.
Bob N is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jointing wide boards AxlMyk Tools and Woodworking 1 07-18-2009 04:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome