column lubrication??? - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default column lubrication???

Ok, here's the problem...

I have two plunge routers and the plunge action needs to be lubricated but I don't want to use anything that attracts dirt or dust because the columns will get plugged to the point of uselessness.

1. how do you clean your plunge columns?

2. what do you use to lubricate them?

3. have you modified your router in some way to "adjust" to a job and if so, how?

4. do you inventory parts and change them out or do you "go to bust" and then fix it?

5. do you do your own repairs or take them to a "specialist?"

6. what are the common repairs that you effect yourself?

7. are there things that you do to your router that you think others could also be able to do?

thanks for the help.

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 AM
RouterForums.com User
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,812
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthunbs View Post
Ok, here's the problem...

I have two plunge routers and the plunge action needs to be lubricated but I don't want to use anything that attracts dirt or dust because the columns will get plugged to the point of uselessness.

1. how do you clean your plunge columns?

2. what do you use to lubricate them?

3. have you modified your router in some way to "adjust" to a job and if so, how?

4. do you inventory parts and change them out or do you "go to bust" and then fix it?

5. do you do your own repairs or take them to a "specialist?"

6. what are the common repairs that you effect yourself?

7. are there things that you do to your router that you think others could also be able to do?

thanks for the help.
Ron, whenever the plunge starts to tighten I dismantle the router, give everything a thorough clean and rub in the minutest amount of CRC then reassemble. Normally I would do my own repairs, but as my main two routers are made by MAKITA, repairs are seldom required in spite of my heavy usage. The only improvements to my routers has been making a six step depth of cut adjuster which makes deep plunge routing in 4mm steps a breeze. Then there was the external light, later changed to an illuminated base which is literally "brilliant". I blow compressed air through the routers regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ball-stand5.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	31845  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bird-clock8.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	31846  


Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

Thanks Harry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
...rub in the minutest amount of CRC then reassemble. Normally I would do my own repairs, but as my main two routers are made by MAKITA, repairs are seldom required in spite of my heavy usage. The only improvements to my routers has been making a six step depth of cut adjuster which makes deep plunge routing in 4mm steps a breeze. Then there was the external light, later changed to an illuminated base which is literally "brilliant". I blow compressed air through the routers regularly.
What's "CRC?"

Thanks Harry. I'll add all your improvements to the list.

Ron

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Registered User
 
dustmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Frank
Posts: 399
   
Default

You definitely want to use a dry lubricant. I have had pretty good success with using past wax on the columns. Regardless of what you use, sawdust will conspire to break it down over time and repeated lubes will be necessary. I always disassemble, blow out the debris and re-wax. Works for me.

- Frank
Woodworking is more than a hobby.
It is a journey of discovery,
An application of innovation and creativity,
And an opportunity at self improvement.
dustmaker is offline  
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
First Name: George
Posts: 396
 
Default

Take the plunge springs out, clean the tubes and parts that slide. The key is to get that sucker clean, I mean real clean..Then I use dry film graphite to lube the internals...
Works for me..
Good Luck.
George Cole
George II is offline  
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered User
 
dutchman 46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Howard
Posts: 2,825
 
Default

I try to stay away from any lube. If you can take it apart, and clean and rub out the columns with polish, sparingly, it works well also. The springs on my router are the only thing that has lube, and that is a grease put in at the factory, and i haven't removed it. Its used for hand held. I am not sure of the other plunge, It Hans,t needed anything, as of yet.

John 3:16

Please fill out your profile, It helps us to know you better
dutchman 46 is offline  
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George II View Post
Take the plunge springs out, clean the tubes and parts that slide. The key is to get that sucker clean, I mean real clean..Then I use dry film graphite to lube the internals...
Works for me..
Good Luck.
George Cole
Hi George:

Thanks. do you have a brand name for the graphite or a supplier?

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman 46 View Post
I try to stay away from any lube. If you can take it apart, and clean and rub out the columns with polish, sparingly, it works well also. The springs on my router are the only thing that has lube, and that is a grease put in at the factory, and i haven't removed it. Its used for hand held. I am not sure of the other plunge, It Hans,t needed anything, as of yet.
Hi Howard:

Which polish? On my bikes I use a thin film teflon but I haven't been able to find it for years.

Thanks for the contribution.

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
allthunbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Ron
Posts: 2,881
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustmaker View Post
You definitely want to use a dry lubricant. I have had pretty good success with using past wax on the columns. Regardless of what you use, sawdust will conspire to break it down over time and repeated lubes will be necessary. I always disassemble, blow out the debris and re-wax. Works for me.
Hi Frank:

paste wax as in Johnson's floor wax or do you have something else in mind?

Thanks for the input.

Allthunbs
allthunbs is offline  
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Just a butt in post

I think Harry is talking about this type

Synthetic Lubricants - Potential Applications And Markets In Western Europe, North America, And Asia-Pacific (Technical Insights)

=========
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthunbs View Post
Thanks Harry:



What's "CRC?"

Thanks Harry. I'll add all your improvements to the list.

Ron



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lubrication beckchest New Member Introductions 4 12-03-2009 07:47 AM
Lubrication on posts? jw2170 Table-mounted Routing 8 07-14-2009 08:37 AM
Making a fixture for column Gene Pinner Jigs and Fixtures 4 09-12-2006 09:46 AM
Guide Rod Lubrication routerjohn Tools and Woodworking 6 03-03-2006 10:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome