Cabinet Doors - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,046
 
Question Cabinet Doors

I've never built any cabinet doors before but looks like I am about to. Mother has way to much time on her hands and decided it was time for a kitchen facelift. Amazing how much work she is able to fit into so few words.
Anyway - budget project, doors will be painted so am planning on the select pine for the frames and 1/2" MDF for the panels. I have ordered this set from Peachtree:
Edirect Special - Peachtree Woodworking Supply, Inc.
They should be here next week.

What I am concerned about at this point is the weight of the MDF. The bits look like they just leave basically a tongue and groove for the corners. I'm thinking that I should really reinforce them with pocket screws. I don't really want to get into M&T at this point. I haven't much experience with those either and handling more than one learning curve at a time doesn't appeal to me much.
Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

John Schaben

The problem with experience is I usually get it immediately after I need it.
jschaben is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Registered User
 
tdublyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Tim
Posts: 227
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I've never built any cabinet doors before but looks like I am about to. Mother has way to much time on her hands and decided it was time for a kitchen facelift. Amazing how much work she is able to fit into so few words.
Anyway - budget project, doors will be painted so am planning on the select pine for the frames and 1/2" MDF for the panels. I have ordered this set from Peachtree:
Edirect Special - Peachtree Woodworking Supply, Inc.
They should be here next week.

What I am concerned about at this point is the weight of the MDF. The bits look like they just leave basically a tongue and groove for the corners. I'm thinking that I should really reinforce them with pocket screws. I don't really want to get into M&T at this point. I haven't much experience with those either and handling more than one learning curve at a time doesn't appeal to me much.
Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.
John,
A few years ago I had to make doors for a medicine cabinet that needed to support a mirror. I too was concerned with the weight and I found lightweight MDF. It is about 30% less weight then the normal stuff and it worked great. The only advice I have is if you need it to hold screws for hinges, as I did, I used threaded metal, screw in inserts that accept a machine screw. I picked these up at the local hardware store.
I have had these doors up for at least 4 years of daily use and everything is working like the day I installed them.
Hope this helps.

Tim
tdublyou is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,046
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdublyou View Post
John,
A few years ago I had to make doors for a medicine cabinet that needed to support a mirror. I too was concerned with the weight and I found lightweight MDF. It is about 30% less weight then the normal stuff and it worked great. The only advice I have is if you need it to hold screws for hinges, as I did, I used threaded metal, screw in inserts that accept a machine screw. I picked these up at the local hardware store.
I have had these doors up for at least 4 years of daily use and everything is working like the day I installed them.
Hope this helps.

Tim
Hi Tim, thanks for the response.
As far as lightweight MDF, if Home Depot ain't got it, I can't get it. At least not cost effectively. I'm way to far from any major metro area.
I'm not putting screws in the MDF, just using it for the panel. Planning on using select pine for the frames.
Thanks again,

John Schaben

The problem with experience is I usually get it immediately after I need it.
jschaben is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered User
 
RustyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
First Name: Rusty
Posts: 618
 
Default

Alright John, I have to come clean and tell you about the project I started nearly 5 years ago. It's almost the same as yours. Being on a tight budget I set out to repaint our white cabinets, and build new doors with clear pine frames, and white mdf panels. It was a mistake, the pine (from lowes) is just to weak to support the mdf (kids may be a contributing factor). I started just gluing the joints, then got a pocket hole jig midway through the project. The only advantage to the jig is you don't wait for glue to dry, none of the doors have broken at the joint either way. Some have broken just inside the joint, then the door starts to sag. Most of the doors have split or cracked on the inside or outside of the groove holding the panel. The panels were not tight when I routed them, they slipped in easily. This project, that started failing before I was done, disgusted me so much that we have been living with some doorless cabinets for quite some time.

Now I am starting over(still on a tight budget), I'm wrapping the cabinets with oak. 1/4" oak ply on the ends with full 3/4" oak face frames right over the old face frames on the upper cabs. For the lower cabs the overlay face frames will be 1/4" ply with solid oak for the end pieces to hide the edge. The doors to keep it simple(and cheap) will be Skaker style t&g frames with oak ply panels.

As you can imagine, I have caught a lot of heat over the length of this project. And now I have to get it done before I start anything else. I have got some face frames up, but my "shop" has to be rolled onto the driveway to be used and it's been raining almost every weekend. I have been picking up wood(which I can't afford all at once), so once I get some good weather, I'm ready to go.

Rusty

If You Want It Bad, You Get It Bad The Worse You Want It, The Worse You Get It
RustyW is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,046
 
Unhappy

Thanks for the input Rusty.. The MDF concerned me. My original plan was 1/4" MDF flat panels but the bit set was so cheap, $75 for a 3 wing set, including the raised panel bit) that I thought I could go to 1/2" and raise the panels. Your post has me rethinking the pine. May check out poplar as an alternative. Also may need to go back to the 1/4" MDF. I was concerned about moisture getting into the MDF and swelling it so I was planning on painting the panels prior to assembly anyway.
I am a couple of weeks away from starting this anyway as I am currently rebuilding all the drawers. One of those deals where one job begats several more. I'll have new drawer fronts on all the drawers so the cabinet doors will have to be done.
I appreciate you sharing your experience and hope things work out well for you this time around... meanwhile, guess I go back to the drawing board a bit.

John Schaben

The problem with experience is I usually get it immediately after I need it.
jschaben is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Registered User
 
RustyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
First Name: Rusty
Posts: 618
 
Default

John, I really think the weakness of the pine was as much to blame as the weight of the mdf. My mdf panels are 5/8". I'm going to save the pine I have left for boxes and such. As far as rebuilding drawers, I removed and built a new 100" base cabinet, to fit the giant 3 bowl stainless sink my wife picked out.

Rusty

If You Want It Bad, You Get It Bad The Worse You Want It, The Worse You Get It
RustyW is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Registered User
 
tdublyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Tim
Posts: 227
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Thanks for the input Rusty.. The MDF concerned me. My original plan was 1/4" MDF flat panels but the bit set was so cheap, $75 for a 3 wing set, including the raised panel bit) that I thought I could go to 1/2" and raise the panels. Your post has me rethinking the pine. May check out poplar as an alternative. Also may need to go back to the 1/4" MDF. I was concerned about moisture getting into the MDF and swelling it so I was planning on painting the panels prior to assembly anyway.
I am a couple of weeks away from starting this anyway as I am currently rebuilding all the drawers. One of those deals where one job begats several more. I'll have new drawer fronts on all the drawers so the cabinet doors will have to be done.
I appreciate you sharing your experience and hope things work out well for you this time around... meanwhile, guess I go back to the drawing board a bit.
John,
Given the bit set you ordered, I wouldn't be too worried about the frames holding up. I don't know how big your doors are but if they're not too wide or tall, I think you'll be OK. If you have the time it might be wise to make one as a test and see how it holds up under some simulated use. That way you won't get too far down a road that dead ends.
Whatever way you go, good luck. Just remember it aint brain surgery, and nobody is going to die if the first try doesn't work.

Tim
tdublyou is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A suggestion from Maurice harrysin Woodturning and Lathes 48 12-08-2013 09:16 AM
Kitchen cabinet make over (new doors / drawers) Nickbee Show N' Tell 32 03-24-2013 03:26 PM
Learning to Make Cabinet Doors tgunther General Routing 15 07-19-2009 09:11 PM
how to get all my kitchen cabinet doors all the same hight taylormaid General Routing 7 02-25-2009 11:52 PM
Need a table to do cabinet doors dynamowhum Table-mounted Routing 4 12-07-2008 10:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome