After a couple months of useage, the new fence is working out great! One issue I noticed immediately was after removing some of the bolts from the wings to make the new rails fit, the wings were no longer stable. Plus with the longer rails, I felt like I was missing out on additional work area. So to the solve that problem I made two new wings. The left wing is roughly the same size as the old wing, while the right wing takes full advantage of the new rails. The first pic shows the wings installed on the TS.
Construction was very straight forward. The second pic, while fuzzy, should give an idea of how it is constructed. The bulk of each wing is two pieces of 3/4" mdf laminated together to make a surface that was 1 1/2" thick. Notice all the screws on the bottom. Before any glue touched the MDF, I predrilled and prescrewed each screw to make the pieces lined up properly, and to make sure that the top piece didn't lift away from the bottom during glue-up. After glue-up came the edge banding. The edge banding serves two purposes here. First it makes a clean looking edge. Second, and much more importantly, it provides the structure to bolt the wings to the saw and rails. I intentionally made the edge banding wider than 1.5" and initially attached them proud of the top surface. I only attached two bands at a time using glue and nails. Once each two bands were attached and the glue was dry, I took a flush trim bit on the router to the edge band to make sure they were dead flush with the mdf surface. After completing the edge banding, I covered the top of each wing with a sheet of Formica, using contact glue and a j-roller.
Finally came time for installation, and this was actually the most time consuming part of the project. After getting a wing lined up as close as possible, I would mark the two outter bolt holes. I then drilled the through hole. If you look in the picture around the edge you will see large holes in the bottom. These were drilled using a forstner bit, and then using a chisle and hammer, made a flat surface for the nut & washer to bite into. After cutting each of these (8 in all) a lot of time was spent with lining up with wings. This included widening the through holes with a rasp, tightening and loosening bolts, and finally some brute force with the rubber mallet. After finally getting everything even, I did a finally check to make sure all the bolts were good and tight.
I may still yet further utlizile the space on the right side of the table saw. It is still very possible drop a router on the larger wing, but with the T-Square fence, the starting edge of the fence for the router will be on the opposite end of where the fence clamps down. I am thinking more along the lines of putting a couple legs on it and put a small storage unit on it. That however is a future project!