Makita BHP 452 quickie question - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Warren
Posts: 255
 
Default Makita BHP 452 quickie question

I have the BHP 452 Makita with charger and two batts. It occurs to me that I MIGHT be able to use Makita's little circle saw using same batts and charger. Can't get through to ask anybody directly so thought I'd toss it out here.
Anybody know? I have a little Ryobi circle saw 18 v but it usually runs out of energy about halfway through a small job. Sorta like me!
sourdough is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Warren
Posts: 255
 
Default

The BL 1815 batteries will NOT drive the several Makita cordless circle saws. You will have to buy the 1830 battery.
So much for my great idea.
sourdough is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

I'm not really surprised. When I'm on site and using my Makita drills I get 6 to 8 hours out of a battery. The SDS does 30 to 70 holes for brown plugs (7mm or 5/32in) depending on the material I'm drilling. The 165mm circular saw, however, requires a very sharp blade and several batteries as it eats 'em for fun (i.e. I get 1 to two rips in 18mm MDF out of 1 battery). And all I have are 3.0Ah ones.
Phil P is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Warren
Posts: 255
 
Default

Holy Moly! That just can't be right.....one or two rips and the 3.0 battery is done? Have you talked to Makita about that?
I've been using the drill with the 1.5 batteries and we assembled a 12' X 18 aluminum carport with it in one afternoon.
sourdough is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Warren, all the cordless circular saws devour batteries. I still use a half dozen 9.6V Makita drills on a regular basis. As long as the batteries hold up and you have good chargers why spend money replacing a working tool?

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Warren
Posts: 255
 
Default

Oh no Mike! Now you tell me! Ha! And I have that new BSS610 Makita on the way to me at the moment with two 3.0 battery's. I have been using a little Ryobi saw but it just can't hack it without charging it every hour and it WILL bog down halfway across a 48" cut in 3/4 ply.
I really thought long and hard about spending the money for the Makita because I am NOT a serious woodworking guy as you know. But at the rate my hands and one shoulder are failing on me I just gotta go as light as I can and my big old dependable corded Makita 7 1/4 just gets to be too much to handle.
I'm looking forward to the BSS 610. I might post a review but then I suppose you guys already know all you need to know about it.
Thanks.
sourdough is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The 165mm circular saw, however, requires a very sharp blade and several batteries as it eats 'em for fun (i.e. I get 1 to two rips in 18mm MDF out of 1 battery). And all I have are 3.0Ah ones.
Having talked with my Makita dealer today I've been persuaded to send the saw back as he reckons there's something wrong with the high battery consumption., so we'll see if makita can cure it (or at least make it less battery hungry)
Phil P is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Retired Moderator
 
BigJimAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 3,503
     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm looking forward to the BSS 610. I might post a review but then I suppose you guys already know all you need to know about it.
Thanks.
Warren... please post your review. We'd like to get your take on it.

Jim

Check out that new high-tech cordless router.. wireless and no recharging required!!
BigJimAK is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Warren

They do sale 4" corded power saws that are very light and will take plywood down to parts in a heart beat, most battery type saws are not made for the long haul and that's been Makita's down fall from day one.. I have one of the older ones (9.6 volt) and it's joke and it was not cheap if I recall

==========

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Oh no Mike! Now you tell me! Ha! And I have that new BSS610 Makita on the way to me at the moment with two 3.0 battery's. I have been using a little Ryobi saw but it just can't hack it without charging it every hour and it WILL bog down halfway across a 48" cut in 3/4 ply.
I really thought long and hard about spending the money for the Makita because I am NOT a serious woodworking guy as you know. But at the rate my hands and one shoulder are failing on me I just gotta go as light as I can and my big old dependable corded Makita 7 1/4 just gets to be too much to handle.
I'm looking forward to the BSS 610. I might post a review but then I suppose you guys already know all you need to know about it.
Thanks.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Warren
Posts: 255
 
Default Makita BSS 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
HI Warren

They do sale 4" corded power saws that are very light and will take plywood down to parts in a heart beat, most battery type saws are not made for the long haul and that's been Makita's down fall from day one.. I have one of the older ones (9.6 volt) and it's joke and it was not cheap if I recall

==========
I really hate to take issue with all the old experienced guys here but I've been using the new BSS610 for several days of work and I am still on the first battery and have not charged it yet! In my review I think I point out that for a while I was cutting DOUBLED 3/4 oak faced plywood i.e. 1.5 inches and the saw just walked right through it....and I mean some 36" cuts....right on through. So either I have a special saw or some super good batteries!!
I gotta tell ya I REALLY like this saw. If I start to notice any little quirks or twitches I'll be happy to keep you posted.
sourdough is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Makita BHP 452 driver/drill sourdough Tool Reviews 2 09-18-2010 12:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome