Changing a Miter Saw Blade - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 23
 
Default Changing a Miter Saw Blade

Hello,

I borrowed my son's miter saw and bought a new blade for it. I'm sure the one on it is the original 40 tooth so I got a 60 tooth blade as I want to do some finer work, not just framing.

It's a Delta 10" model 36-070 and I figured there would be a manual online. The only one I could find is in French but I could see from the pictures what I needed to do. However, when I got the cover off and tried to loosen the old blade it is Extremely tight. I don't want to break the bolt that holds it on so here's my question: does anyone know if the normal way these are attached is with a normal thread or is it a reversed thread? I know they all have differences but I'd bet this is something they have in common.

Thx,
Ken
sepulchre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered User
 
Gene Howe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Gene
Posts: 10,563
 
Default

My miter saws are all reverse thread. Not sure about yours or others than the brands I own.
Surely someone will chime in with an answer relevant to Delta.

Gene Howe
Snowflake, AZ

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Please edit your profile with a name and location so we can better assist you and make for a friendlier forum.
Gene Howe is online now  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Ken

Get your air impact out, put the right socket on it and tap the button, it will come right off. they are left hand threads the norm..if the blade is on the left side of the machine..

Don't forget the Golden Rule, Lefty Lucie, Righty Tighty but in this case it's the other way around, Righty Lucie ...


=========


Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchre View Post
Hello,

I borrowed my son's miter saw and bought a new blade for it. I'm sure the one on it is the original 40 tooth so I got a 60 tooth blade as I want to do some finer work, not just framing.

It's a Delta 10" model 36-070 and I figured there would be a manual online. The only one I could find is in French but I could see from the pictures what I needed to do. However, when I got the cover off and tried to loosen the old blade it is Extremely tight. I don't want to break the bolt that holds it on so here's my question: does anyone know if the normal way these are attached is with a normal thread or is it a reversed thread? I know they all have differences but I'd bet this is something they have in common.

Thx,
Ken



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 10-30-2010 at 10:46 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 23
 
Default

Yes, it's a reverse thread (I spoke with a few tool repair shops). Unfortunately, I don't have an impact wrench. Maybe one of my neighbors does.

Thanks for the info.
sepulchre is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 AM
DGK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: N/A
Posts: 41
 
Send a message via Skype™ to DGK
Default

Remove the blade bolt clockwise.

oops...I was a little late
DGK is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Ken

It's one of the tools you want to have in the shop , they can be used for many jobs in the shop.. ,.like driving in big lag screws..

1/2" Electric Impact Wrench

=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchre View Post
Yes, it's a reverse thread (I spoke with a few tool repair shops). Unfortunately, I don't have an impact wrench. Maybe one of my neighbors does.

Thanks for the info.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
First Name: James
Posts: 2,304
 
Default

Hi Ken,
There is usually a pin to press to lock the arbor from turning. Take the arbor bolt off with either a wrench or a 5mm allen wrench (depends on bolt to hold blade on). Remove outer flange then blade & reverse process. You shouldn't need an impact.

Look at teeth direction when replacing blade but usually the label of blade is on the bolt side so you should be able to read it. The teeth should be down & towards the fence when rotating.

James
Whittier, CA.

Have a nice & safe day!

Last edited by jlord; 10-30-2010 at 11:18 AM.
jlord is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Ken
Posts: 23
 
Default

Thanks everyone. Can't get an impact wrench . . . yet. Next toy is a table saw. Sears has a nice one (very solid fence, laser, nice stand) on for about $230. So the wrench will have to wait.

As a side note: My wife's being very kind about all this. She started by clearing out our shed. It was her father's workshop and she wants to see it used again. She went out yesterday and bought me a shoplight, and clamp light and materials to insulate my little shop. While at Sears we saw the table saws and while I was looking at the cheap stuff she pointed out a much nicer model saying, "Next payday." So adding more tools will take awhile. That's okay; I have friendly neighbors.
sepulchre is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Registered User
 
LexB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Lex
Posts: 130
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchre View Post
Thanks everyone. Can't get an impact wrench . . . yet. Next toy is a table saw. Sears has a nice one (very solid fence, laser, nice stand) on for about $230. So the wrench will have to wait.

As a side note: My wife's being very kind about all this. She started by clearing out our shed. It was her father's workshop and she wants to see it used again. She went out yesterday and bought me a shoplight, and clamp light and materials to insulate my little shop. While at Sears we saw the table saws and while I was looking at the cheap stuff she pointed out a much nicer model saying, "Next payday." So adding more tools will take awhile. That's okay; I have friendly neighbors.
You can get a manual impact driver pretty cheap. It uses impact sockets, but you whack it with a hammer. Just buy the size impact socket that you need and you're still under $20 USD for the whole shebang. I used one back when I was in high school (and too poor to afford anything else) to remove cylinder head bolts from my car, etc. Just keep your eye on the ball so that you don't miss and hit your hand. Been there, done that.
LexB is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default leverage

A pipe slipped over the end of a (properly fitting) regular wrench will work, too, adding the leverage needed to break the bolt free.

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Scroll Saw-Easiest Blade Changing jrprottas Wood Scrolling 57 01-19-2014 08:18 AM
For Sale: Ridgid 12" sliding miter saw - USED, works dovetail_65 Woodworking Classifieds 11 01-20-2011 11:28 PM
Bosch 5412L 12" Dual Compound Sliding Miter Saw and T4B Folding Stand Combo CanuckGal Tool Reviews 8 07-24-2009 01:19 PM
"Lo-tech" table saw blade alignment simplenik Tools and Woodworking 4 04-10-2009 12:27 PM
table saw blade selection blurry Tools and Woodworking 19 03-13-2009 12:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome