Question About Chisels - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default Question About Chisels

I need to buy a set of good chisels Right now I only have one and it is rather large about on inch across the blade or what ever you call the cutting edge. Here is my concern and my fear. Over the years I have never been able to sharpen a knife with a stone so I have learned to use a Lanski, hope I spelled that right, it has been the only way that I could get a knife sharp to my satisfaction. What I'm concerned with in regard to buying an expensive set of chisels is my ability to sharpen them. I know that they must be kept exptremely sharp. Is there a tool or some method to sharpen a chisel without using voodoo. I use this term as I used to watch my dad sharpen knifes with a stone and you could shave with them, when I try it, I just wear the blade out, never could get the hang of it like some folks so. I know that I must sound like a dunce, and I suppose that when it comes to this subject, I guess that I am. I realize that the trick is to keep the angle correst and constant, but knowing this does not mean that I can do it, wonder if anybody else has ever experience this problem.

Now, if I find that I can sharpen chisels the next thing will be to learn how to use them to, for example, square up the rounded ends of moritses, is this also an art that takes lots of practice and a little voodoo too? Looking forward to comments, gosh what would you do without my strange questions ummm....

After posting this I saw that I had spelled chisel wrong and then went back and edited the post or thread starter but could not edit the title so for the record I tried. Buy the way, I went to Rockler's web site and did see a chisel sharpening kit, are there any comments on it. I think that it. Can't recall the name but you will know what I mean if you are familiar with such a tool.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Bowen; 12-19-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Jerry Bowen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered User
 
GulfcoastGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Patrick
Posts: 882
 
Default Water stones and a jig

A while back I got the 8 piece set from Grizzly (Link to review, discontinued) with their sharpening kit (Link) (of that kit I now only use the Larson style honing guide). I then tried the Scary Sharp system. I've had good results but have found, as others have, that you run through a bunch of wet/dry sandpaper. I'm still there except I've graduated to the 200-600 diamond block from Harbor Freight for the rough shaping work and still have to go to the wet/dry paper on a large granite tile from Home Depot for the fine work. The honing guide is a must for me in order for ME to get a working edge. I'm working on going freehand but like you I'm finding it's a slow go to get there.

Try to push your budget a little on the chisels. The Grizzly set is good and I like it BUT the steel isn't as hard as it could be and they need sharpening touch ups when I work on harder woods. (the edges tend to curl some)

A little birdie told me Santa may be bringing me a 1000/6000 grit Water Stone for Christmas. That's the direction I'll be going for sharpening down the road.

GCG

Last edited by GulfcoastGuy; 12-19-2012 at 11:14 AM.
GulfcoastGuy is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfcoastGuy View Post
A while back I got the 8 piece set from Grizzly (Link to review, discontinued) with their sharpening kit (Link) (of that kit I now only use the Larson style honing guide). I then tried the Scary Sharp system. I've had good results but have found, as others have, that you run through a bunch of wet/dry sandpaper. I'm still there except I've graduated to the 200-600 diamond block from Harbor Freight for the rough shaping work and still have to go to the wet/dry paper on a large granite tile from Home Depot for the fine work. The honing guide is a must for me in order for ME to get a working edge. I'm working on going freehand but like you I'm finding it's a slow go to get there.

Try to push your budget a little on the chisels. The Grizzly set is good and I like it BUT the steel isn't as hard as it could be and they need sharpening touch ups when I work on harder woods. (the edges tend to curl some)

I little birdie told me Santa may be bringing me a 1000/6000 grit Water Stone for Christmas. That's the direction I'll be going for sharpening down the road.

GCG
Patrick,

Thanks for taking time to post to my thread. What is your primary use for your chisels?, Glad to hear that I'm not alpne on knowing how to sharpen by hand.

Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered User
 
GulfcoastGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Patrick
Posts: 882
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bowen View Post
Patrick,

Thanks for taking time to post to my thread. What is your primary use for your chisels?, Glad to hear that I'm not alpne on knowing how to sharpen by hand.

Jerry
Just like you I'm faced with the need to do mortise and tenons. I'm using the drill press and Forsner bits for the mortise rough in and cleaning up with the chisels. The tenons I do on the table saw with a jig that rides on the fence.

I've gotten to the point chasing the burr where I can get the burr almost gone, then a few quick stropping passes on the legs of my jeans and I'm shaving my arm.

GCG
GulfcoastGuy is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Jerry, I suggest you buy a cheap set of chisels from HF for $7? on sale to try different methods with. I have seen all the fancy methods available and to be honest I just sharpen mine on my belt sander. I do my turning chisels this way too. I am sure people are thinking "what a blockhead" but it works well for me.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 20
 
Default

While I don't use my chisels nearly as well as I should, I do enjoy sharpening. Unless you want to go to a "higher" level machine, a honing guide and a flat stone will work pretty well. The key is keeping the angle consistent and the guide will allow you to do that. Take a colored magic marker and cover the bevel you will be working. Then take a few light passes and look at the bevel. If the marker is off in one area and not the entire bevel you need to adjust the honing guide till you get it taking off the marker and not just in one area. If possible keep moving the honing guide so that you don't wear a low place in the stone. After some length of time you will need to flatten the stone so that you can continue to get a square end.

If you are using diamond flats you won't need to worry about the need to resurface a stone.
Hawks_Feather is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
 
GulfcoastGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Patrick
Posts: 882
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Jerry, I suggest you buy a cheap set of chisels from HF for $7? on sale to try different methods with. I have seen all the fancy methods available and to be honest I just sharpen mine on my belt sander. I do my turning chisels this way too. I am sure people are thinking "what a blockhead" but it works well for me.
A guy at my local Bass Pro would sharpen about any knife for a buck and he used a belt sander and a buffing wheel. Worked great.

And kinda like the beer commercial you're only a blockhead if it DOESN'T work.

GCG
GulfcoastGuy is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfcoastGuy View Post
A guy at my local Bass Pro would sharpen about any knife for a buck and he used a belt sander and a buffing wheel. Worked great.

And kinda like the beer commercial you're only a blockhead if it DOESN'T work.

GCG

So far nobody that has posted to this thread had mentioned the issue of "Hollow Ground". My neighbor sharpened my one and only chisel and talked about that issue.?????

Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User
 
GulfcoastGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Patrick
Posts: 882
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bowen View Post
So far nobody that has posted to this thread had mentioned the issue of "Hollow Ground". My neighbor sharpened my one and only chisel and talked about that issue.?????

Jerry
That involves a slow wheel. Too, fast and you'll anneal the hardened steel. You put a "Hollow" profile on the bevel that matches the radius of the wheel then sharpen as normal on a flat surface. Only the edge and the heel of the bevel would be in contact with the sharpening surface. Reduces the amount of metal you have to remove during fine sharpening. Otherwise the principles are the same. A lot of folks swear by it. If I had the gear I'd try it but I don't. Once the hollow profile is formed it shouldn't need to be repeated till you wear the edge down a bunch. Maybe your neighbor could do that for you and you'd be set for awhile.

GCG
GulfcoastGuy is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...8&site=ROCKLER

Check out the video to see how easy it can be

==



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work sharp.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	57838  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 12-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question About This Forum Jerry Bowen Tools and Woodworking 4 03-30-2012 09:46 AM
carving tools lyjan Tools and Woodworking 3 08-16-2010 07:53 PM
sharpening chisels levon Tools and Woodworking 18 09-19-2009 12:42 PM
DC Question angus Lobby 3 03-31-2008 07:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome