New Addition...Rikon 10-325 plus a tip... - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,279
 
Default New Addition...Rikon 10-325 plus a tip...

After posting, reading, listening and looking I finally settled on a Rikon 10-325 Deluxe 14 inch. It has a 1 1/2 hp motor, 2 speeds, up to 3/4 in blade, 13+ resaw and other "workhorse" stuff.

The blade is not very good so looking for recommendations for a 1/2 and 3/4 (resaw)...

I also offer a tip for improved guide adjustment...each of the bearings have a washer on the base side, a plastic collar/spacer for the screw. I decided, after fighting the adjustment changing when tightening, that the collar and washer needed to trade places. This provides a much larger and smoother surface that keeps the bearing in alignment while tightening it after micro adjusting. WHAT A DIFFERENCE...

I read lots of posts that recommend Carter bearings immediately...I honestly believe my quick mod makes enough of a difference to avoid the extra expense.

But I do need help for a couple of blades to last past my "novice ness"...

Thanks in advance...Nick
Nickp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Wayne
Posts: 146
 
Default

Nick
I like the Timberwolf blades. Woodcraft carries them and the prices range from 28 - 40 dollars if I remember correctly. They last pretty well for me, just remember to release the tension when not in use. A friend of mine likes the Olsen line, although I don't think they are as good as the timberwolfs. I'm sure other members will chime in on this.

Making saw dust in Turtle Creek, PA.
Wayne
WayneMahler is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 1,261
 
Default

Congratulations on the bandsaw Nick... very nice saw!

Galatians 5:13
Marco is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,279
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneMahler View Post
Nick
I like the Timberwolf blades. Woodcraft carries them and the prices range from 28 - 40 dollars if I remember correctly. They last pretty well for me, just remember to release the tension when not in use. A friend of mine likes the Olsen line, although I don't think they are as good as the timberwolfs. I'm sure other members will chime in on this.
Thank you, Wayne...can you comment on TPI...? for general use on 1/2 and 3/4 wood...? And am I right to go with 3 or 4 TPI for resaw...? I'm thinking the most I'll be resawing for a while is cutting down 3/4's for project wood...
Nickp is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,279
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Congratulations on the bandsaw Nick... very nice saw!
Thank you, Jim...I'll be having some fun soon I'm sure...and I'm guessing another reason for more posts
Nickp is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Nick, I almost bought that saw, it was my first choice until I found the killer deal offered on the Steel City 14" Deluxe model. Watch the band saw adjustment video in the sticky thread, I learned a great deal from it. I bought a Timberwolf blade for resawing, No complaints so far. I am planning on adding a Carter stabilizer for use with narrow blades as suggested in the video. Here is a link to the item: Steel City 14" by Carter Products

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Art
Posts: 1,528
 
Default

I have the same saw and use Timberwolf but in the 1/2" size not the 3/4. For resawing you want a thick blade I don't remember the thickness but if you call them they can set you straight. The Woodcraft near me didn't carry the thicker blade so I went with what they had but wish I had waited. Interesting suggestion about the bearing I haven't noticed any problem with the set up as it is what would turning the bearing do besides adding a bit more distance on the back side? One thing to check every now and then is the belt tightness. I thought I had a motor problem not realizing that the knob on the base was for tightening and loosing the belt. I had turned it and not seeing anything happening walked away from it. After experiencing a problem I looked at the owners manual and realized I had loosened the tension.
mgmine is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,279
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmine View Post
I have the same saw and use Timberwolf but in the 1/2" size not the 3/4. For resawing you want a thick blade I don't remember the thickness but if you call them they can set you straight. The Woodcraft near me didn't carry the thicker blade so I went with what they had but wish I had waited. Interesting suggestion about the bearing I haven't noticed any problem with the set up as it is what would turning the bearing do besides adding a bit more distance on the back side? One thing to check every now and then is the belt tightness. I thought I had a motor problem not realizing that the knob on the base was for tightening and loosing the belt. I had turned it and not seeing anything happening walked away from it. After experiencing a problem I looked at the owners manual and realized I had loosened the tension.
Thank you, Art...the plastic sleeve and collar in the bearing looks like it sleeves the smaller screw...by putting the bigger and plastic surface on the inside it allows for SLIGHT loosening of the screw (about 1/4 turn) for adjustment and does not allow the bearing to twist when the screw is otherwise loose. (...as a possible analogy, using a short fence versus a taller one ?...) The plastic also allows for smoother movement between the surfaces and so the bearing stays where it was adjusted when tightened. I had initially tried a slightly bigger diameter washer but was still binding between the mount and the bearing. I used the technique in the sticky video and it worked like a charm. It is possible that I may have taken care of a different problem and not recognized it, i.e., bad washer, big thumbs, etc... I have looked at the carter guide and it is on my list. Right now I am concentrating on which blades to buy...Timberwolf seems to be on the top of my list (PC 3/4x.032 and 1/4x.025) I thought I was going to buy a 1/2 and 3/4 but videos and reviews is now pointing me to the 1/4. I'm trying not to buy too many initially...I'm sure I will wind up with a collection one of these days...

Last edited by Nickp; 01-19-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: clarify...analogy ?
Nickp is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,279
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Nick, I almost bought that saw, it was my first choice until I found the killer deal offered on the Steel City 14" Deluxe model. Watch the band saw adjustment video in the sticky thread, I learned a great deal from it. I bought a Timberwolf blade for resawing, No complaints so far. I am planning on adding a Carter stabilizer for use with narrow blades as suggested in the video. Here is a link to the item: Steel City 14" by Carter Products
Thank you, Mike...I remember your earlier recommendation for the Steel City Deluxe but couldn't pass up the deal on the Rikon...about $4 BUC's (Bandsaw Unit of Currency = $100). I have watched videos on the Carter guide and it is really impressive...imagine, just have the fence within 1/4" and it cuts straight...MAGIC (FM?)

I have a bunch of scrap that I'm going to "repurpose"... First use will be a box for my sextant...

toys, what would we do without 'em

Last edited by Nickp; 01-19-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: possible project
Nickp is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,279
 
Default

So let me see if I'm getting it straight...I am on the PS Wood site and it looks like if I want to cut hardwood, softwood and plywood, MDF, composite I would get the 1/4 x 8 x 0.025 and it would let me cut the typical sizes of wood. I would use this as my "one blade does it all" blade...? (except for resaw)... I guess I need to pick PC/RK...? Or did I understand the site and 1/4 automatically gets me the RK...? (So much to learn, so little time...)

Last edited by Nickp; 01-19-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Nickp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rikon 10-305 10" bandsaw rcp612 Tool Reviews 16 03-09-2018 09:47 PM
Rikon 10 inch bandsaw Kelly Rittgers Tools and Woodworking 6 07-03-2011 09:54 PM
Tip Rotator Mark Site Help and Suggestions 4 03-10-2008 10:22 AM
Bob's tip remembered reible Table-mounted Routing 3 08-20-2006 03:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome