Feather boards. Buy 'em or make 'em - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
IC31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Dave W
Posts: 556
 
Default Feather boards. Buy 'em or make 'em

After turning a nice piece of oak into kindling with my router table today when the feather board popped out of the slot, decided that I have to do something about the situation. This particular one was a commercially available plastic version - relatively inexpensive - but now suspect. I did a bit of Googling and find that even a couple of my earlier homemade versions, now gone, were probably better then the current plastic one I have - but that there really MAY be better plastic ones available. I'm not adverse to making my own but my earlier ones were pine and possibly something like a long fiber wood such as ash or hickory might be better. I'll want to use these on both my table saw as well as the router table. Folks with experience - point me in a way that will work

Dave W

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)
IC31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Moderation Team
 
MT Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 5,712
 
Default

I have several that I bought. I don't have the time to make them. Too many other things to do. :-)
MT Stringer is online now  
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered User
 
Phil P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Phil
Posts: 2,117
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC31 View Post
I did a bit of Googling and find that even a couple of my earlier homemade versions, now gone, were probably better then the current plastic one I have - but that there really MAY be better plastic ones available. I'm not adverse to making my own but my earlier ones were pine and possibly something like a long fiber wood such as ash or hickory might be better. I'll want to use these on both my table saw as well as the router table. Folks with experience - point me in a way that will work
Hi Dave

As they say on Monty Python, "....and now for something completely different":



The picture above is a "Mickey Mouse" router table (as BJ would call it) sold by deWalt in the EU (called a DE6900, but I don't think you can get it in the USA). It was designed in the 1970s by Elu and it works really well partly because it comes with one Shaw (SUVA) guard - the wooden piece with the leaf spring on the back. In reality it mimics the Shaw guards we have had since the 1930s in the UK on industrial spindle moulders (industrial shapers). It comprises a beech or maple block which is "skewered" onto a threaded rod. The rod passes through a leaf spring on which is also a nut to both increase or decrease the tension on the spring AND to fix the device onto an angle bracketed frame. This frame in turn is attached to the router table or fence. This design has several advantages over a featherboard; the pressure can be accurately adjusted and is easy to control from extremely soft to very hard (I tend to find that featherboards are all or nothing), the pressure pad can be changed to a shaped one or a rebated one to give extra support on pre-shaped or rebated workpieces (or if using two, one from the side, the other from the top to apply pressure to very small section pieces safely.

Whilst you could make this out of pine or an open-grained aterial ike oak or ash, close-grained timbers such as beech and maple tend to perform much, much better

Just though I'd chuck something a bit different into the mix

Regards

Phil

BTW if you are interested I could always pull mine apart and measure the parts for you, or publish an exploded component photo so you can see just how it's made. If interested, please PM me

"Unfortunately there is lots of bad information online; some of it is really scary. It's probably not intentional, but I've seen some content that sets up the illusion that you can do whatever you want and get away with it" - Norm Abram in an interview with Jefferson Kolle
Phil P is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
IC31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Dave W
Posts: 556
 
Default

Mike - I understand about the time. That's why I retired ..... now have even less with more honey-dos added to my platter

Phil - why does the UK get all the 'interesting' gadgets that seldom if ever appear here

I'm not going to ask you to pull your tensioning device (for lack of a better term) apart - as that time bug-a-boo noted above. A component scan will be great for me and probably others to look at and maybe come up with a workable alternative. I would bet that a couple of coil springs on a platen with a center Acme thread for major adjustment Those 2 springs on either side, individually adjustable - along with mounting hardware would work in lieu of a leaf spring. A fairly light duty leaf spring might be hard to source. Hmmmmm - love fabrication projects - but again, time as the current honey do list includes a new bath tub and surround(arrived this morning), kitchen counter tops, floor and new lighting.

Dave W

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)
IC31 is offline  
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Registered User
 
Mike Wingate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: mike
Posts: 1,124
 
Send a message via MSN to Mike Wingate
Default

Although I normally make loads of my equipment. I have bought all (5) of my featherboards.
Mike Wingate is offline  
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Dewalt DE6900 Type 1 Router Table Spare Parts | Miles Tool & Machinery Centre

===

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC31 View Post
Mike - I understand about the time. That's why I retired ..... now have even less with more honey-dos added to my platter

Phil - why does the UK get all the 'interesting' gadgets that seldom if ever appear here

I'm not going to ask you to pull your tensioning device (for lack of a better term) apart - as that time bug-a-boo noted above. A component scan will be great for me and probably others to look at and maybe come up with a workable alternative. I would bet that a couple of coil springs on a platen with a center Acme thread for major adjustment Those 2 springs on either side, individually adjustable - along with mounting hardware would work in lieu of a leaf spring. A fairly light duty leaf spring might be hard to source. Hmmmmm - love fabrication projects - but again, time as the current honey do list includes a new bath tub and surround(arrived this morning), kitchen counter tops, floor and new lighting.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
IC31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Dave W
Posts: 556
 
Default


Oh my, spare parts are not inexpensive!! Especially figured at the current exchange rate (.63 sterling to 1 USD)

Thanks for the parts breakdown though as it does give me as well as anyone else a general idea of what this gadget does.

Dave W

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)
IC31 is offline  
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

You're Welcome Dave

You can buy one but it's from the other side of the pond ,that can be a real downer.

DIYTOOLS.COM: DeWalt DE6900 Router Accessories
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC31 View Post
Oh my, spare parts are not inexpensive!! Especially figured at the current exchange rate (.63 sterling to 1 USD)


===

Thanks for the parts breakdown though as it does give me as well as anyone else a general idea of what this gadget does.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Registered User
 
BRAVOGOLFTANGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Bravo
Posts: 265
 
Default

Really simple to build your own featherboards, but you're the only one whom can decide which avenue to take.
BRAVOGOLFTANGO is offline  
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
IC31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Dave W
Posts: 556
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVOGOLFTANGO View Post
Really simple to build your own featherboards, but you're the only one whom can decide which avenue to take.
I am all to well aware that I have to make the final decision - and I can go either way. As I said at the beginning, I have a store bought that I'm not overjoyed with and have made a couple from pine in the past. Some of the store boughts I've checked seem just too stiff and the home made ones didn't survive well due to the wood = my fault. If I buy one, two, or more, which ones are the best bang for the buck. If I make a couple, how wide for a good start point? What wood is best? How long should the feathers be cut and at what angle?

What I'm trying to do is not continue making the same mistakes, hence this question as well as others I've posted - and have been helped several time so far by the good folks here

Dave W

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead - R Green)
IC31 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABSOLUTE ROUTING BEGINNER: Need to make 36" long 3/4" wide 3/8" inch deep insert tkleff General Routing 9 02-20-2012 06:10 AM
So you want to buy a router table... BobandRick Table-mounted Routing 39 08-30-2010 05:23 AM
First Cutting Boards Soapdish Show N' Tell 3 02-03-2010 10:35 AM
What Router to buy (cutting plastic) stevegriswold General Routing 1 07-03-2005 12:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome