I did fabricate a cart for the bench. The bench rests vertically on one side, with a hold down rope to secure it. All the loose parts were secured, nested or somehow hooked to the frame. (Without doing this, I’m sure I would lose or reuse them.) I wouldn’t tow the setup behind the car but it seems fairly stable for moving around the garage (not tippy).
I did find that with hard use, the bench had a tendency to slide along the sawhorses so I cannibalized (cut and threaded) some long (3/8” dia) wall hooks to use as “J” hooks into a centered hole that was conveniently located on the sawhorses.
Before I put a finish on the bench I figured I should deal with any potential / additional clamping needs. I’ve read a lot of discussion on square vs. round bench dogs but since I didn’t have the foresight to put in square ones, I’ll settle for round. I put in 3 rows of holes (5” on center) for bench dogs using a 2-hole indexing jig making sure the rows were aligned front to back. This gave me a shot at using multi-hole stops/clamping bars (not sure for what yet). This (drilling the holes) was probably one of the only times I’d be glad the bench wasn’t hardwood. For the most part the alignment strategy worked – I’ve tried several random placements of both of the 2 peg stops.
Bench dogs … I probably spent more time than I should have fashioning a jig to make the 3” bench dogs in a consistent / repeatable fashion – but now I have it. The most difficult part of the fabrication process was figuring out how/how much to downsize the ¾” oak dowel slightly for usability.
A nice bonus on the ¾” hole approach – my newer set of Irwin QuikClamps break down (for reversing to expansion mode), the bar conveniently fits through the holes. Now I have surface clamping … there is some direction limitation of the clamp end underneath in certain holes. This will be particularly useful if I need it more than 3 inches from the edge of the bench.
I added an adjustable/retractable end stop to the left side – this has come in handy.
A few coats of polyurethane and I had to break down and buy a standard ¾” drill (I used a forstner to cut the original holes) to ream the holes (of finish).
Done – I think