Combining The Incra LS Positoning Systeprem To The Express Sled - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default Combining The Incra LS Positoning Systeprem To The Express Sled

In an earlier thread or post, I mentioned that, for me anyway, using the scale on top of the fence that is attached to the V27 Incra Miter Gauge which in turn is attached to the Incra Express sled, is difficult for me to use and less accurate than what is provided by the LS system.

When you see the photos, the first one is just a simple view from the rear of the saw and shows the over all view of the set up. The distance between the blade to the end of the wide light colored board is approximately six inches, and that distance is set on the cursor of the LS system. I should say will be set after all is properly calibrated, the photos are just to display the concept.

Notice that the sub fence is only clamped to the fence but will be permantly attached if I decide that I like the arrangement.

There is another over all view from a different angle.

You will see that the sub fence is in place just to keep the blade of the saw from cutting into the primary or Incra fence that is attached to the miter gauge.

The lighter thin board is just the length as is the distance from the blade to the right edge of the Express Sled as you stand at the operating side of the table saw, not as you see in the photo as the photo is taken from the back side of the saw. So, when the end of the light colored thin board is against the blade and the fence of the LS system is against the right edge of the sled, the set up is in its zero position. Moving the fence of the LS system to the right allows the distance between the left end of the that light colored board to also be moved to the left the distance that is set at the cursor of the LS system. Hope I'm not being to confusing. If you have the Incra tools that are in the photo, you will be more apt to grasp the concept.

You will see the magnetic part of the magnetic feather borard set on the table saw table to provide a stop for the sled so that it, the sled, will not be allowed to move so far forward that the blade of the saw can come into contact with the Incra fence that is attached to the miter gauge.

There is also a photo showing the cursor of the LS system. the bottom scale is the one that is used without the Express Sled, and the top one is the one to be used when the sled is being used as in the photo. That scale is not zeroed out. Don't pay attention to where it is set, the photo is only to show that two scales are required, one for the normal use of the LS saw positioning system and the other is to be used as in the the photo when cross cutting and using the Express Sled.

Hope you can figure it out. The set up is set to cut a workpiece that is approxiamately six inches in length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	69602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	69603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	69604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	69605  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	69606  

Jerry Bowen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Registered User
 
MAFoElffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 2,369
 
Default

It looks "neat" but I have concerns. Your photo's bring up questions I now have... Early in the morning at the moment, so I'll ask then later today after I get some sleep. Maybe it's just my tired eyes...

Hint-- Briefly, they concern the blade to fence; and separately, the risk of a kickback... Between me asking those, let's see if anyone else see's what I see.

"Don't worry, I saw this work in a cartoon once."
"Usually learning skills and tooling involves a progression of logical steps."
MAFoElffen is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bowen View Post
In an earlier thread or post, I mentioned that, for me anyway, using the scale on top of the fence that is attached to the V27 Incra Miter Gauge which in turn is attached to the Incra Express sled, is difficult for me to use and less accurate than what is provided by the LS system.

When you see the photos, the first one is just a simple view from the rear of the saw and shows the over all view of the set up. The distance between the blade to the end of the wide light colored board is approximately six inches, and that distance is set on the cursor of the LS system. I should say will be set after all is properly calibrated, the photos are just to display the concept.

Notice that the sub fence is only clamped to the fence but will be permantly attached if I decide that I like the arrangement.

There is another over all view from a different angle.

You will see that the sub fence is in place just to keep the blade of the saw from cutting into the primary or Incra fence that is attached to the miter gauge.

The lighter thin board is just the length as is the distance from the blade to the right edge of the Express Sled as you stand at the operating side of the table saw, not as you see in the photo as the photo is taken from the back side of the saw. So, when the end of the light colored thin board is against the blade and the fence of the LS system is against the right edge of the sled, the set up is in its zero position. Moving the fence of the LS system to the right allows the distance between the left end of the that light colored board to also be moved to the left the distance that is set at the cursor of the LS system. Hope I'm not being to confusing. If you have the Incra tools that are in the photo, you will be more apt to grasp the concept.

You will see the magnetic part of the magnetic feather borard set on the table saw table to provide a stop for the sled so that it, the sled, will not be allowed to move so far forward that the blade of the saw can come into contact with the Incra fence that is attached to the miter gauge.

There is also a photo showing the cursor of the LS system. the bottom scale is the one that is used without the Express Sled, and the top one is the one to be used when the sled is being used as in the photo. That scale is not zeroed out. Don't pay attention to where it is set, the photo is only to show that two scales are required, one for the normal use of the LS saw positioning system and the other is to be used as in the the photo when cross cutting and using the Express Sled.

Hope you can figure it out. The set up is set to cut a workpiece that is approxiamately six inches in length.

Mike,
I'm anxious to hear from you on the potential problems that you have aluded to with the set up that the thread is about.

I don't see where kick back is a potential problem. I say that because the part being cut is being held securely in position during the cut even though the part is indeed being positioned between the fence and the blade. I know that you are better versed in ths issue than I am. There is the possibility of once the fence is used to set the length of the cut that the piece being cut can be held in place and the fence of the LS being pushed back out the way. This would require that the fence be reset if more than one workpiece needed to be cut to the same length.

Anyway, write to me about it.

Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Registered User
 
david_de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Dave
Posts: 252
 
Default

Way over my head and far too complicated for me to figure out let alone use. Should this be in the CNC section?
david_de is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_de View Post
Way over my head and far too complicated for me to figure out let alone use. Should this be in the CNC section?
Dave,
If you are not familiar with the Incra tools that are being shown and described in the thread, I certainly understand the confusion, I knew that this would happen, or was pretty sure that it would be. The Idea of Incra tools is to be able to do to some some degree what is done with CNC tools, but do it all mechanically.

Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Gaffboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Oliver
Posts: 2,109
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_de View Post
Way over my head and far too complicated for me to figure out let alone use. Should this be in the CNC section?
I second your comment, Dave. It all looks too complex for my simple needs.

Dragons slain. Damsels rescued. No reasonable request refused ... unless the dragon's really big.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. ~Oscar Wilde

http://profhenrys.blogspot.com
Gaffboat is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffboat View Post
I second your comment, Dave. It all looks too complex for my simple needs.


I know that the photos and my attempt to describe what you see in them is less than simple, but if you could see it being used, you would quickly understand. It has worked so far and allows the accuracy of the LS system to work with the sled. Without this set up one left to the limitations of accuracy that is similar to using a tape measure and that is not what the LS system is designed for. I want to use the potential accuracy of the LS concept with the Express sled and this is how I have accomplished it, or should say, I think that I have, will have to use it for a period of time to be sure that I have not over looked something.

Sorry for the confusion,

Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Registered User
 
MAFoElffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 2,369
 
Default

See Attached...

Picture one is a standard Incra Express Sled. See how the blade clears the fence.

Looking at your pictures, I see the fence bisecting the axis of the blade. (Ouch) How is that not cutting your fence? Am I seeing that wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	69623  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126_edit.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	69624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127_edit.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	69625  


"Don't worry, I saw this work in a cartoon once."
"Usually learning skills and tooling involves a progression of logical steps."
MAFoElffen is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
See Attached...

Picture one is a standard Incra Express Sled. See how the blade clears the fence.

Looking at your pictures, I see the fence bisecting the axis of the blade. (Ouch) How is that not cutting your fence? Am I seeing that wrong?


Mike,
That's the reason for the sub fence and the stop so that the Incra fence can't come into contact with the blade.

Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Use TS LS System With The Incra Express Sled... Jerry Bowen Tools and Woodworking 0 04-24-2013 04:43 PM
Router Lifts: Incra SWHD vs. Incra PRL-V2 Gato9 Tool Reviews 3 09-23-2011 06:14 PM
Router Lifts: Incra SWHD vs. Incra PRL-V2 Gato9 Table-mounted Routing 0 09-23-2011 09:17 AM
Router Lifts: Incra SWHD vs. Incra PRL-V2 Gato9 General Routing 0 09-23-2011 09:14 AM
VIDEO - Shop built Mitering and Crosscut Sled johnwnixon Tools and Woodworking 5 09-06-2009 11:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome