Sometimes It's Just The Little Things...
Before I get into the subject of this thread I need to tell our members that our friend Dick Willis is in the hospital. He e-mailed me a few days ago about his situation and told me that he was about to go to the hospital.
Dick is dealing with and has been dealing for sometime with an issue with one of his legs. The pain had to be pretty bad for him to succumb to it and call for help. I know that I will get an e-mail from him as soon as he is home. In the mean time some prayers for him would certainly be in line.
I have, as some of you know, been struggling with miter lock cuts. One of the issues has been that due to my vision issue I can't see the hash marks on the Infinity set up gauge and have been using a work around to do the set up. The work around has been to use my camera to take photos and be able to enlarge the picture to see.
Well, a couple of days ago I discovered that with my visor with the magnifying lens in it that I can see the hash marks, what a difference that made. I can't imaging why I had not tried the visor before.
I have a set of Jessem Feather Boards on order but in the mean time I've been puttzing around with a new sub fence. Yesterday I tried to make some cuts into a piece of red oak and had terrible results, the piece bucked, chattered, burned and even split the wood on one try. Once I even saw smoke coming out of the cut. When I used the air hose to clean things off I had sparks flying from hot saw dust and chips. Needless to say I was discouraged and just gave it up for the day.
I went back out to the shop this morning with my newly delivered supply, three cans, of Johnson's Wax. And as per Dick Willus's suggestion waxed the new sub fences, the in and out feed fences, with the wax deluted with mineral spirits.
Upon attempting to install the fences and do a new set up I removed the inset ring from the plate on the router table and found that there were two spots of dried glue on it. Needless to say this dried glue did nothing to enhance the way the workpiece was being fed into the bit. After cleaning the insert ring up and installing the newly waxed sub fence the oak cut like butter compared to what was going on yesterday.
Just a little thing like that dried glue in the wrong place can sure ruin a person's day, the point of all of this is that I am learning how important things have to be in regard to minimizing any restriction to a workpiece as it passes over the miter lock bit. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new feather board arrangement is going to do to enhance my experience with the miter lock bit.
Just wonder what others have experienced with their attempt to get good results with their miter lock bits, I know that there are not many members that have fooled around with them, but some of you have and I really doubt if all went smooth from the get go for you.