Well finally, I just bought and old Skil saw - Router Forums
 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
bryansong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Country: United States
First Name: bryan
Posts: 728
 
Default Well finally, I just bought and old Skil saw

I don't often need one but since I'm going to build a garage and a couple of decks I've been watching Craig's List for a worm drive saw. Today I bought one for $50.00. It looks like it's been well used so it's a little rough but it powers smoothly when triggered and seems powerful. I hope it will be good enough for just and average homeowner and I look forward to giving it a try.

I do have an old Skil saw with the blade on the right but I think the worm drive will work much better.

I will admit it here, I'm a tool guy. I love having the right tool for the job.

Thanks for listening.
Bryan
bryansong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered User
 
dovetail_65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Dovetail
Posts: 1,610
 
Default

SKill 77 is an old reliable, powerful, very heavy saw. I used one for near 20 years everyday. These days my hands and wrists are just to weak to use it. The newer lighter tools are near as powerful and far more elegant so I have graduated to those, even for framing and site work. For brute strength, framing, general home building, etc that Skill saw will remain a classic and will be used by tradesmen for many more years to come.

Just make sure the base isn't bent or twisted, those tend to get tossed around a lot. The base getting knocked out of whack was the only issue I ever had with the several I have owned over the years.
bryansong likes this.
dovetail_65 is offline  
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 7,403
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovetail_65 View Post
SKill 77 is an old reliable, powerful, very heavy saw. I used one for near 20 years everyday. These days my hands and wrists are just to weak to use it. The newer lighter tools are near as powerful and far more elegant so I have graduated to those, even for framing and site work. For brute strength, framing, general home building, etc that Skill saw will remain a classic and will be used by tradesmen for many more years to come.

Just make sure the base isn't bent or twisted, those tend to get tossed around a lot. The base getting knocked out of whack was the only issue I ever had with the several I have owned over the years.
I agree 100%, I made a living with those saws. It will take some getting used to ,Bryan, but having the blade on the left side is so much easier to see to use. When ever possable use the weight of the saw to your advantage.

The one thing don't ever forget is to ALWAYS keep the nose of the saw down tight to the board. The fraction of a second the saws' nose is up off the board while cutting it will rear back at you like a mule. So when you plunge cut, Tip the saw up with the nose down and the blade above the work then start the saw and SLOWLY plunge the saw blade into the work until all the way down then cut forward.

Herb
dovetail_65 and bryansong like this.
Herb Stoops is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 PM
Registered User
 
dovetail_65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Dovetail
Posts: 1,610
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
I agree 100%, I made a living with those saws. It will take some getting used to ,Bryan, but having the blade on the left side is so much easier to see to use. When ever possable use the weight of the saw to your advantage.

The one thing don't ever forget is to ALWAYS keep the nose of the saw down tight to the board. The fraction of a second the saws' nose is up off the board while cutting it will rear back at you like a mule. So when you plunge cut, Tip the saw up with the nose down and the blade above the work then start the saw and SLOWLY plunge the saw blade into the work until all the way down then cut forward.

Herb
Listen to him too, the kickback on those things can be like a horse! It's easily one of the more dangerous tools on the job site, especially in inexperienced hands. For those that don't need that beast of a saw there are plenty of left blade sidewinder's now that weigh half as much.

Last edited by dovetail_65; 03-20-2016 at 09:30 PM.
dovetail_65 is offline  
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 3,544
 
Default

Congrats...let the saw do the work...dont over extend your reach, it will lift the front like a wheelie...

Clean out the oil compartment with your favorite juice (i use Marvel Mystery Oil) and put in new grease...

Nick

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GIVE A MAN A FISH and you feed him for a day.
TEACH HIM HOW TO FISH and you feed him for his life time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nickp is online now  
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
bryansong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Country: United States
First Name: bryan
Posts: 728
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickp View Post
Congrats...let the saw do the work...dont over extend your reach, it will lift the front like a wheelie...

Clean out the oil compartment with your favorite juice (i use Marvel Mystery Oil) and put in new grease...
Nick, I never heard of it and just watched a couple of YouTube videos.

Tell me more about how you clean out the oil with Marvel Mystery Oil and what grease are you using in the gear box? Are you saying to add a little oil and run the saw a while then drain it? What grease and do I pack it in or what? I'd like to get this right especially since I really have no idea of the history of this saw and how good of shape it's in. The oil is a good start


And thanks to all of you guys that gave me heads-up warnings about the kick backs. I'll take it easy and see how the saw reacts.
I really did want one of those newer saws but they are $200.00. If this saw doesn't work out I'll get one of those.

Bryan
bryansong is offline  
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,287
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickp View Post
Congrats...let the saw do the work...dont over extend your reach, it will lift the front like a wheelie...

Clean out the oil compartment with your favorite juice (i use Marvel Mystery Oil) and put in new grease...

YOU WHAT???

grease in the oil bath gear box???
groan....
Bricknhank and Herb Stoops like this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
bryansong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Country: United States
First Name: bryan
Posts: 728
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post

YOU WHAT???

grease in the oil bath gear box???
groan....
I need to hear this. What oil then, 90 weight? I have no idea so I guess I could just search and read some manuals.

"Oh the pain the pain." Doctor Zachary Smith.
Attached Images
 
bryansong is offline  
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 7,403
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansong View Post
I need to hear this. What oil then, 90 weight? I have no idea so I guess I could just search and read some manuals.

"Oh the pain the pain." Doctor Zachary Smith.
I used to use 90 wt., Bryan. The saw shops sell the recommended lube. Some guys use to use a white gunky stuff LubePlate?

Herb

Last edited by Herb Stoops; 03-21-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Herb Stoops is offline  
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:41 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,287
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansong View Post
I need to hear this. What oil then, 90 weight? I have no idea so I guess I could just search and read some manuals.

"Oh the pain the pain." Doctor Zachary Smith.
good way to go...
RTM..
bryansong likes this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome