Need Help - What type of Hammer - Page 2 - Router Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Gregg
Posts: 60

I would say that it's actually a blacksmithing "fuller" - used in pairs, the top one (as pictured) with a handle, the bottom attached to the anvil.

Used to make an iron bar circular in cross-section, and of a specific diameter - I'm guessing thats what the ?/8 is - 5/8?

If you plan to use it, remove the mushrooming - it's very uncomfortable having a piece removed from your flesh :.(
bigegg is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 13

I had no idea of what that was
Hermansclork892 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Registered User
Check twice!'s Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: John
Posts: 1,207
Send a message via Skype™ to Check twice!

A interesting piece of history,, necessity the mother of invention. How things have progressed.

Nice find.


Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better, but will make what I'm looking at better!
Nova Scotia, Canada. A combination of beauty and history.
Check twice! is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2014
Country: New Zealand
First Name: Aurum
Posts: 9

Seaming or Forming tool. Metal Works

This tool is used in the forming or closing a seam in sheet metal work.It is a preferred tool for Copper and Tinsmiths

A hammer action is applied to the head of the tool which placed over the folded seam and worked along its length to give you radius finish. The tool comes in various shapes depending on your required cross-section I have used it for bespoke metal crafting esp. aluminum and thin gauge panel steel.

It is a marvelous tool and when placed upside down in a anvil I use the radius or what ever cross-section I have determined as a forming tool. Eg. A round metal rod to half round. Very simple and with a bit of practice a smooth surface. This method is also referred to as "Swaging".

The hammer is applied to the round cross-section in the groove (radius) changing the shape to half round. The bonus is you have no waste of material and with the price of copper a substantial saving.

If you wish to know more in particular let me know.

Cheers Aurum
Aurum is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 04:33 AM
Registered User
Alysha29's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2014
Country: Australia
First Name: Alysha
Posts: 11

I know it wasn't hammer but i really didn't know what is it so thank you so much for letting me know.
Alysha29 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Veneer hammer rwyoung Show N' Tell 8 05-16-2010 09:52 PM
Type 2 vs Type 3 Dewalt DW625 jschaben General Routing 2 10-17-2009 04:43 PM
Home made plane adjusting hammer rwyoung Show N' Tell 18 07-19-2009 11:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome