Router Forums

Router Forums (https://www.routerforums.com/forum.php)
-   Wood Species (https://www.routerforums.com/wood-species/)
-   -   The Doors (https://www.routerforums.com/wood-species/19876-doors.html)

pemdas86 02-05-2010 06:57 AM

The Doors
 
2 Attachment(s)
Greetings to all good folk,

Hope this is the right place to ask a question on choice of wood for a project.

I'm thinking of making my own interior doors, 5 in total, out of solid wood. Just getting my thoughts together and doing my homework investigating before I jump in the deep end. Shaker style, 2 panel, very simple easy and clean looking. What wood species should I use ? I've been hearing eastern white pine is adequate. I don't like knotty anything. All our trim in the house is wood grain stained golden amber color, so I will not be painting the doors. Attached is a couple pictures of generally the idea. These go for like $400+ and I have to think I can build a less expensive model of my own, if for nothing else than the pride of doing so. Thanks in advance for help.
Steve

bobj3 02-05-2010 09:50 AM

Hi Steve

I would suggest using Poplar, Pine is very soft and I'm not a big fan of Pine for doors..you will see dents in the door in very short time.

====

Quote:

Originally Posted by pemdas86 (Post 162489)
Greetings to all good folk,

Hope this is the right place to ask a question on choice of wood for a project.

I'm thinking of making my own interior doors, 5 in total, out of solid wood. Just getting my thoughts together and doing my homework investigating before I jump in the deep end. Shaker style, 2 panel, very simple easy and clean looking. What wood species should I use ? I've been hearing eastern white pine is adequate. I don't like knotty anything. All our trim in the house is wood grain stained golden amber color, so I will not be painting the doors. Attached is a couple pictures of generally the idea. These go for like $400+ and I have to think I can build a less expensive model of my own, if for nothing else than the pride of doing so. Thanks in advance for help.
Steve




pemdas86 02-05-2010 10:45 AM

Yes sir. Plus I have younger kids and everything is treated like an expendable toy... ;)
I had also noticed there's something about the optimal % of humidity in the wood, or something like that? Anything I should be aware of ? Other than just getting the most high quality wood that I can afford, it shouldn't matter too much right ? They are all going to change with temperature changes over the seasons. I live in New England/ MA. Not too extreme either way, but it has it's excessive hot and cold spells.
thank you

bobj3 02-05-2010 10:58 AM

Hi

I would suggest that you get your stock from a indoor lumber yard (not HD/Lowes) than stack the stock up in the shop for a week or so b/4 you mill it ,than after you do it put them in the house for a week or so b/4 you hang them..


=======

Quote:

Originally Posted by pemdas86 (Post 162527)
Yes sir. Plus I have younger kids and everything is treated like an expendable toy... ;)
I had also noticed there's something about the optimal % of humidity in the wood, or something like that? Anything I should be aware of ? Other than just getting the most high quality wood that I can afford, it shouldn't matter too much right ? They are all going to change with temperature changes over the seasons. I live in New England/ MA. Not too extreme either way, but it has it's excessive hot and cold spells.
thank you




istracpsboss 02-05-2010 11:51 AM

Am I the only one to see the title of the thread and start humming 'Riders on the storm' ?

Cheers

Peter

pemdas86 02-05-2010 02:52 PM

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn...



(sorry, coundn't resist. One of my favourite lines.)

kp91 02-05-2010 03:29 PM

Ash might be worth a look

tdublyou 02-05-2010 07:50 PM

I actually thought of The Soft Parade.

pemdas86 02-06-2010 03:38 PM

I actually just got back from a few hours of trying to price this whole thing out. A reputable lumber co has eastern white pine high grade 2x 6 KD S4S at $5.28 /ft. I still need to investigage rough lumber, of course. but even at that, I somewhat priced it at just the wood being $125+ for the door only. I may just go 6 panel store bought for $125 and do the jamb and moldings myself. Dunno. Thank you all for your help, I'll let you know if I break on through to the other side, of a decision that is.

allthunbs 02-06-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by istracpsboss (Post 162536)
Am I the only one to see the title of the thread and start humming 'Riders on the storm' ?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter:

Never heard that one. Translation please.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.