So in our last installment, there was a sheet of plywood attached to an insulated wall, just minding its own business.
One task which I had been avoiding due to the Texas heat (the air conditioner barely keeps up in the garage) was dismantling a built-in workbench in the rear corner of the garage. This dismantling had to occur in order for the project to continue. The weather finally gave a bit of a break and temperatures were in the crisp, cool upper 80s, so I decided to attack with great glee. Whoever built the piece of crap bench did so using good, strong lumber and extremely large ring shank nails. However, I was able to salvage some lumber from the top (some good, long 2x6s). There was a problem as I got into the base against the corner of the garage: Old termite damage. The bottom plate was eaten up for about 8 feet on the side wall, and about 4 feet along the back wall.
After digging out, cleaning up and pulling out all the punky wood, I replaced the (bad) portion of the bottom plate and shored up the wall with new studs sistered to the existing ones.
The recent purchase of a new siding nailer, framing nailer and jigsaw have come in VERY handy for this job. Also, I would *highly* recommend a self-leveling 3 axis laser level -- its been a life saver (you'll see in future postings why.. :-) )
Here are some pictures of the damage, which I know you're dying to see.
<insert witty saying here>
Last edited by Sominus; 10-16-2019 at 10:00 AM.