One thing I like about my workshop. - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Australia
First Name: Darryl
Posts: 430
 
Default One thing I like about my workshop.

I have all the regulation complaints about a workshop: too small, not enough equipment, etc. One thing I do like though is that it I am not cooped up inside a room, but it is still fairly well protected from the elements. I do need to cover the TS with a tarp to protect it from rain that may blow under the roof and everything around the outside next to the rail I always assume will get wet if I leave it there when raining. Well, we had a visit in Brisbane yesterday from ex Tropical Cyclone Marcia and I am very happy to say that all I have to do is shake a bit of water off the tarp, and everything is operational. It was 36 hrs after Marcia made landfall, and a lot of the wind had gone out of it so it was mainly just a lot of rain - like 25mm / hr rain - but still a lot of rain, and my "open air" workshop has come through unscathed.

Attached is a photo of the "damage" - just a bit of water on the tarp. For reference, here Is a video I took of the local creek about 5 minutes drive from home. http://youtu.be/sq4zHFeoJ-o That creek is normally ankle deep and about 2 paces wide, so you can get a feel for how much rain has fallen here. And my workshop survived all that without any major dramas. I am so happy....

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424580049383.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	94577  


Providing Web and IT services through my own business (Darbeth) by day, and by night , saving my customer's sanity.

Escaping to the workshop to create things out of slabs of wood by day or by night , to save my own sanity.
darsev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Registered User
 
DonkeyHody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Andy
Posts: 901
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsev View Post
I have all the regulation complaints about a workshop: too small, not enough equipment, etc. One thing I do like though is that it I am not cooped up inside a room, but it is still fairly well protected from the elements. I do need to cover the TS with a tarp to protect it from rain that may blow under the roof and everything around the outside next to the rail I always assume will get wet if I leave it there when raining. Well, we had a visit in Brisbane yesterday from ex Tropical Cyclone Marcia and I am very happy to say that all I have to do is shake a bit of water off the tarp, and everything is operational. It was 36 hrs after Marcia made landfall, and a lot of the wind had gone out of it so it was mainly just a lot of rain - like 25mm / hr rain - but still a lot of rain, and my "open air" workshop has come through unscathed.

Attached is a photo of the "damage" - just a bit of water on the tarp. For reference, here Is a video I took of the local creek about 5 minutes drive from home. http://youtu.be/sq4zHFeoJ-o That creek is normally ankle deep and about 2 paces wide, so you can get a feel for how much rain has fallen here. And my workshop survived all that without any major dramas. I am so happy....

Darryl
Glad you came through without damage. I predict that as you get more invested in woodworking equipment, you'll find it necessary to move inside. There are sacrifices to be made one way or another.

“We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it and stop there lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove lid again and that is well but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.” - Mark Twain
DonkeyHody is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 17,423
 
Default

Interesting. I am about to put a deck in front of my workshop shed. Later I'll cover it with a roof. I plan to roll my heavy sawdust makers outside, sliding miter, sander and some other tools as I need them. We get pretty good wind on occasion, so I'll roll everything inside after using it. That will give me a lot more elbow room in the shop. A neighbor has a lot of enclosed space by adding extensions to his sheds.
DesertRatTom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 758
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatTom View Post
Interesting. I am about to put a deck in front of my workshop shed. Later I'll cover it with a roof. I plan to roll my heavy sawdust makers outside, sliding miter, sander and some other tools as I need them. We get pretty good wind on occasion, so I'll roll everything inside after using it. That will give me a lot more elbow room in the shop. A neighbor has a lot of enclosed space by adding extensions to his sheds.
I am limited by the HOA rules to a shed no larger than 8x10. Not big but the best I can do. I did add a deck, unbeknownst to the HOA, so I use the deck for the tools which make sawdust, pulling them out and putting them away each day. This reduces me to a fair weather woodworker, and not at all during the winter months which is not much fun. I have been trying to figure out how I could add to my "shop" in a way that wouldn't violate the HOA rules but still provide protection for my tools.
billyjim is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Australia
First Name: Darryl
Posts: 430
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatTom View Post
Interesting. I am about to put a deck in front of my workshop shed. Later I'll cover it with a roof. I plan to roll my heavy sawdust makers outside, sliding miter, sander and some other tools as I need them. We get pretty good wind on occasion, so I'll roll everything inside after using it. That will give me a lot more elbow room in the shop. A neighbor has a lot of enclosed space by adding extensions to his sheds.
Tom, I have like an alcove area on the deck and that is where the power point etc is located. It is well protected, and the whole deck is located on the opposite side of the house to the prevailing weather. It means that I can stand out on the deck watching the wild weather without getting wet at all, and the power points are normal domestic power points not the weather resistant outdoor style. It's a long story how we got the deck built, but it is one of the best things we have done to the house. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Darryl

Providing Web and IT services through my own business (Darbeth) by day, and by night , saving my customer's sanity.

Escaping to the workshop to create things out of slabs of wood by day or by night , to save my own sanity.
darsev is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Australia
First Name: Darryl
Posts: 430
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyHody View Post
Glad you came through without damage. I predict that as you get more invested in woodworking equipment, you'll find it necessary to move inside. There are sacrifices to be made one way or another.
My wife and I have had long discussions about that and have reached similar conclusions. However I work from home and it is not practical to move the workshop inside, so eventually we will have to build a shed. Our house is the style known in Aus as an "Old Queenslander", which is designed to let as much air move through it as possible to handle the heat and humidity of the tropics. Any dust I make inside ends up everywhere and that doesn't mix well with computers. It will be a while before I get a shed, unfortunately, but I am happy to have what I do have. It is still a lot more than many others have.

Providing Web and IT services through my own business (Darbeth) by day, and by night , saving my customer's sanity.

Escaping to the workshop to create things out of slabs of wood by day or by night , to save my own sanity.
darsev is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 14,530
 
Default

Do you guys have these, down under?
ShelterLogic 10 ft. x 20 ft. x 8 ft. Peak Style Sandstone Auto Shelter-62680.0 - The Home Depot
It'd be the perfect solution for assembly, sanding, finishing maybe even material storage if it's secure...
I'd be very leery about leaving tools lying around in it, unless of course there's no criminals in Oz(?)
DaninVan is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Australia
First Name: Darryl
Posts: 430
 
Default

Dan,

I haven't seen anything that long, but we have plenty of similar things sold as Gazebos or shade shelters. They tend to be square rather than rectangular.

Providing Web and IT services through my own business (Darbeth) by day, and by night , saving my customer's sanity.

Escaping to the workshop to create things out of slabs of wood by day or by night , to save my own sanity.
darsev is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 14,530
 
Default

The long ones are meant as portable garages, Darryl. Way cheaper than the cost of a new garage.
DaninVan is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Australia
First Name: Darryl
Posts: 430
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninVan View Post
The long ones are meant as portable garages, Darryl. Way cheaper than the cost of a new garage.
We're "tough" in Aus. We just leave the cars out in the open so that the sun can fade the paintwork, make the seats too hot to sit on, and use the bonnet for frying eggs in summer....

Providing Web and IT services through my own business (Darbeth) by day, and by night , saving my customer's sanity.

Escaping to the workshop to create things out of slabs of wood by day or by night , to save my own sanity.
darsev is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the first thing that comes to mind? Mark Word Games 1601 07-09-2018 02:46 PM
Smallest workshop. farrout Starting Off 74 01-31-2011 09:49 PM
Am I the only one without a workshop? SE18 General Routing 41 04-03-2010 08:14 AM
A funny thing happen reible Lobby 4 04-02-2005 01:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome